Is this rumour about Morrisons Fuel, or fact?

I have experienced the symptoms some posters refer to (and posted about it a while back I'm sure...can't remember which thread, as I've long unsubscribed from it since).

There's much more difference between using 95Ron and 97Ron or higher (from wherever), than between Shell/BP/Total's 95Ron and "Generic Supermarket" 95Ron.

The symptoms I experienced (juddering, odd power curve) were down to my engine management (ECU? 'Mapping'?) being factory-optimised for 97Ron or higher, and not liking 95Ron that much at all: it did not matter one bit whether I was using Shell/BP/Total's 95Ron or "Generic Supermarket" 95Ron, symptoms were the same.

Im not saying there is it's just abit of a coincidence that a few forumers have had the same problems as im having now with my car it keeps Jerking in lower gears and loses power which is too much of a coincidence don't you think.

Do you fill up when nearly empty? Could you be stirring up the gunge at the bottom of your tank? I'm afraid I can't buy the theory that Morrison's fuel is that different or inferior to BP's or anyone elses. As I've said, I'm sure that at least in not too distant times past, the stuff was delivered from the same tanker.

Hope your car sorts it's sen out!

Do you fill up when nearly empty? Could you be stirring up the gunge at the bottom of your tank? I'm afraid I can't buy the theory that Morrison's fuel is that different or inferior to BP's or anyone elses. As I've said, I'm sure that at least in not too distant times past, the stuff was delivered from the same tanker.

Hope your car sorts it's sen out!

You are correct. We operated a Shell site some years ago. It was very common for Esso or others to deliver fuel if it was more convenient than a shipment coming from Shell. Reciprocal arrangements were in force all over the country.

People like RIX and others didn't even have refineries and just bought from whoever would supply that day.

• 5 years later...

This is what my dad used to say.

Those of us who remember ICI petrol used to be a by product in otherwords not proper petrol and he suspected the supermarkets did the same and always swore by Shell.

One day my dad accidently use Shell premium in his 2002 Fiesta and on the motorway the car ran better.

However I did an experiment I run a 1997 Citroen Xantia TD used Nitro and let the tank run near to bottom and then used normal Shell Derv and saw no difference. Some engines will benefi some wont.

I am currently using Tesco sunflower oil at 80p a litre.

Archived