Nightclub near chesterfield rd

Originally posted by ellesbelles

At the junction of Broadfield Road and Chesterfield Road was the Highway 61. I think it was above what is now the Italian restaurant and bed shop.

We're talking about 1968/9

didnt this also used to be a prize bingo hall round about that time and before that i think it was a snooker hall .

Originally posted by ellesbelles

At the junction of Broadfield Road and Chesterfield Road was the Highway 61. I think it was above what is now the Italian restaurant and bed shop.

We're talking about 1968/9

Broadfield Road does not touch Chesterfield Road ...

Originally posted by glitterbug

There was also a "blues" club on the other side of the road just up from where Readmans and Matalan are now. It was called Chatoos and was a prefab up at the top of a garden of a very normal looking semi-detached. It was like the Tardis inside, with a bar selling cans of Red Stripe, and a dance floor! The atmosphere was quite intimidating for non regulars, but very exciting cause we were doing something naughty! even taxi drivers knew where to drop you if you were cagey about where you were going, cause in those days there was no reason for anyone to want to go there apart from to the blues club. [/quote

me and some mates went there one night.........us punks stood smoking and drinking listening to some nice reggae with the owner all night, then left about 7am and caught the bus home with all the people going to work.....very strange night but an excellent night. yes i always remember it was in alarge hut behind the house lol.

also went to a blues up pitsmoor a couple of times, was int here when it got raided once......me with my green dreads with 9 black guys in the middle of a black area of sheffield and they tried to make out i was the mister big LOL

• 3 weeks later...

There was a club in Heeley Bottom at the corner of Broadfield Road and Chesterfield Road. It was called HIGHWAY 61 Re-visited after the famous Bob Dylan song Highway 61.

There were a number of people originally connected to the ARK Club in Crookesmoor involved in it's creation.

Before being revamped it was called the Silhouette Club.

The HIGHWAY was basically a SOUL club and like most clubs of it's time was a very popular venue for 15-18 year olds but unfortunatley again like most clubs its had a short 2 year life.(69-71)

Some very good local bands played there:- Travellers Express, Lubi Soul and Love and Confusion.

• 6 years later...

Oh The Highway 61, what great times we had there. We used to travel all the way from Stannington on Sunday nights just for the fantastic music they used to play there. We used to go to the Ark on Friday and Saturday nights and dance all night (well till 10 o'clock anyway) we had to be in by 10.30. No booze needed in those days to enjoy ourselves just great friends and sweet soul music.

Archived