From where the name Sheffield originated

Dont quote me on this,but when I was a lad growing up in sunny sheffield,I was told the name was derived from many years ago,before the industrial revolution when the land was inhabited by predominantly farming communities,sheffield came from the corn being left in sheiffs in the fields?No idea if this is the case,but my mam told me and I believed everything she said!!!

The name is from late O.E. Scafeld "Open Land by the River Sheaf," an O.E. river name, from sceath "boundary."

The boundary in question was that between Northumbria and Mercia, two Anglo Saxon kingdoms, which ran by Sheffield in that time. Dore is another local name which refers to this boundary, with the village being the literal 'door' being one kingdom and another.

Sova has it in one.

Sc = Sh in Old English.

Sceath Feld pronounced SHAITH FELD meant Boundary Clearing.

Shortened to;

Scafeld pronounced SHAIFELD.

The river, the previously mentioned 'boundary', now refered to as the Sheaf.

It is said that the Normans, on hearing the local Saxons speak of the name misheard them and thought they were saying Eshafeld, or as written down, Escafeld.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.:)

Another point worth noting is that the Sheffield Coat of Arms displays corn and arrows. The two things that can be collected into 'SHEAFS'.

• 2 years later...

Archived