James Dixon Sheffield Flask - 128 Ounces!

Greeting,

I realize that there are a number of active threads regarding James Dixon & Sons, but I'm looking for someone with specific knowledge about a VERY LARGE sheffield flask that I own.

The flask stands about 12 inches tall, is 8 inches wide, and 2 1/2 inches deep - marked: James Dixon & Sons - Sheffield - Made in England - 334 - 128 OZS. - and carries another mark of a cross in an oval shield. There is also a large 10K gold monogram applied to the front GME...the M is largest - so perhaps G. E. M. is the actual monogram.

I understand that it may be a beer "growler" - with the growler referring to the size of the container (approximately 1 gallon). What I don't know is, "What the heck is this thing?" There is a very eloborate baffle (not sure if to reinforce the piece, or to stir the contents.

Any input would be appreciated - I'd love to be able to properly identify this unusual piece.

Thanks,

Aidan

• 2 years later...

Greetings Aidan,

I have a similar ( what I think is Pewter ) flask the same size as yours and stamped

" James Dixon & Sons Sheffield - Made in England - 334 -128 ozs. and below that in a different font and different stamp " Abercrombie & Fitch Co. New York ". Mine has a threaded cap but is missing the cap. I wonder if you have found out anything about yours from anyone on this forum ? ( I just found it and registerd today.

Thanks,

dclark

Archived