Swollen feet and ankles

well, i was admitted to hospital sat morning. and i have just got home. the swelling started on my feet, then finger, then hands. then wrist and arms, then neck, and it was on my knees yesterday. each time the swelling went down on one thing, it started on another. and the swelling came with a rash when it appeared on my arms and wrists. The swelling was also accompanied with itching.

the docs still dont know what it wrong, i have had loads of blood tests etc. they think it is something to do with my immune system. i am waiting for some more blood tests to come back, so i am at home, feeling ok. I actually felt ok while i was swelling, apart from swollen buts were burning, sore and very tender.

I should know more in august. i have been told to report back to the doc if anything happens between now and then, but i am just so happy i am home, as i am graduating on monday.

its a mystery!! but it is now in the rheumotologists hands (yes i know i cant spell..)

I do feel for you, it must be miserable, a family member has peripheral neuropathy also extremley painful. I hope you get good results very soon. Congratulations on your Graduation, have a lovely day!!!

thank you. my knees started burning again last night, and my right heel was sore. today my right heel is a bit painful, but my knees have stopped burning. i think i may start a diary. i am feeling really down, as i don't know what it is and i'm just worried. i really want to go back to work, but today i can't because of my foot hurting. its very frustrating. is there anyone else out there that has had similar problems?

Jojo. Some years ago I started with swollen fingers and hard painful lumps on the joints where the fingers join the palms of my hands. Blood tests were normal and I was told it was probably carpal tunnel. Then my knees began to hurt, I had no strength in my arms and legs and my ankles swelled. This went on for almost a year and then the symptoms went away.

The doctor thought it was probably a temporary rheumatic condition, but couldn't prescribe anything as the blood tests didn't show up RA or anything else.

Some things that I think helped - glucosamine sulphate, gentle exercise, plenty of rest.

Good luck.

thats interesting rosyrat, have any of the symptoms come back at all since then? so far everything has come back all clear, just waiting to find out on the recent blood tests. today i feel ok, just the heel on one of my feet hurts a bit when i walk. very odd.

No, touch wood, the symptoms never returned. I'd got so bad that my OH had to cut up my food and I couldn't hold a glass properly. Walking was a real problem too, although the strength came back in my legs quicker than in my wrists and hands.

I had physio and that helped a great deal too. It reduced the swelling in my hands and feet. As soon as you feel strong enough, I'd recommend taking up pilates or something similar to strengthen and tone your muscles and joints.

when the swelling was bad in my feet they felt really lumpy, like the soles of my feet were full of air bubbles. so i couldn't walk. when my hands were swollen, they were also red, hot and really sore. Couldn't pick up a folk or anything. But the wierd thing is is how quickly it all happened. I did have a bit of swelling and lumpy feeling in one of my feet in may, but it went after a few days. and some itchiness and swelling in june, but again it went. the strange thing about what has happened recently is that it all started in my feet weds, and then spread everywhere. now its all gone!! just very strange. hopefully i will know more when they get the results.

well i thought i was ok, and now a bit on my foot is swollen, and i have a rash/swollen patch on my hip that seems to be getting bigger. im not sure whether i should just wait and see what its like in the morning, and go to the docs, or ring them tonight.

i have had enough anyway

Archived