Sheffield in 1800,s

Hi All

I am writing a story about my great grandfather who was born in Sheffield on 15 August 1846, son of William Bird and Sarah Mosley. After an excellent amateur and professionally running career he was brought to run professionally in Australia arriving in Melbourne in December 1869 and promoted as the "long distance champion of England."

I would like to find out something living in Sheffield in the 1800s eg social life etc, and would appreciate any advice or assistance where I can access that sort of information. I have looked the excellent pictures sheffiled web-site which has has provided photographs of where he was born -Pea Croft and lived later at Pond Street and Arundel lane.

Regards

john Bird

Hi John

Just had a look at what you said about your GG Grand Father. You are living in Melbourne you would have heard of the Stawell Gift well did you know it started in Sheffield where it was ran between two pubs that were the same distance as the Stawell Gift 120mts or 120 yds he would have only been in his 30ts. Alan.

Have a read of Joseph woolhouse's account of sheffield 1820.

That might give you some ideas.

Hope this helps

PopT

PopT, do you have the full citation for that article or book? Is it still in print? I'd be interested in getting my hands on it. cheers.

Hi Deboz

To find photos of Pea Croft go to picturessheffield.com. then Search Picture Sheffield/Search Data base/go to "for advanced searching......." section at bottom and type in Pea Croft and you will get number of photos of Pea Croft

regards

John

Archived