FAO Bar and nightclubs

Paul2412

so clients don't want their websites to be in the public domain because they are scared viewers might realise they are using a simple business model? what do they do, hide the website away and keep it to themselves? it can't be a very strong business model if people can just copy it and use it themselves if they fancy it. how are they ever going to get anywhere if they are at such risk?

the concept of twitter is fairly simple and is at risk from "copycats", yet they have still been brave and let people share, and even use their website!

Not every website wants to be seen by the world.

I am a software developer, I write software for clients. The clients generally are in another field other than IT. Most of the work is backend (customised for each client).

As I have not asked them if its OK to provide a link from the main website, I'm not going to send random people to private websites just to argue against a point made by some know it all.

It's called respecting client confidentiality.

So all these sarcastic comments are a discussion, eh? I only read thru because I was going to post my opinion that any company that sent me unsolicited SMS would not get any further business off me, but it all seemed so pointless once the thread had turned into a sniping competition

Finally a sensible point.

The messages won't be unsolicited, or at least the site wont promote that. Responsibility for that would be at the nightclub/bar's hands. What happens normally is that clubbers or customers of a bar are stopped and asked if they mind sharing information in return for offers. The customer ONLY gets sent information once they are on the database.

So all these sarcastic comments are a discussion, eh? I only read thru because I was going to post my opinion that any company that sent me unsolicited SMS would not get any further business off me, but it all seemed so pointless once the thread had turned into a sniping competition

hardly. i certainly thought i was participating in a discussion regarding this new business. are all of my points completely invalid then? as we have discovered and i have already pointed out, the OP has invested a relatively small amount into this venture - others may have invested a lot more, and insufficient research is a killer. the only person killing the thread on here was the exile character getting upset at people commenting on things when they don't have a degree in the relevent topic area.

you another sensitive poster then! "i can't post because the nasty person is making sarcastic comments!"

Not every website wants to be seen by the world.

I am a software developer, I write software for clients. The clients generally are in another field other than IT. Most of the work is backend (customised for each client).

As I have not asked them if its OK to provide a link from the main website, I'm not going to send random people to private websites just to argue against a point made by some know it all.

It's called respecting client confidentiality.

i understand this to an extent but the veil of secrecy does confuse me a bit. i can't understand why your clients wouldn't want people to see their websites? particularly if they are customised for each client, what am i going to do with it?

i can only imagine the fury of your clients when you passed on the address of their website to someone :loopy:

The messages won't be unsolicited, or at least the site wont promote that. Responsibility for that would be at the nightclub/bar's hands. What happens normally is that clubbers or customers of a bar are stopped and asked if they mind sharing information in return for offers. The customer ONLY gets sent information once they are on the database.

to get back to the original point seeing as people are bleating on about deviating the topic slightly away from the OP's question - this is a very effective form of marketing but i can't see it being viable as a standalone business as it wouldn't cost a huge amount or be particularly for clubs to do it themselves off their own back.

i understand this to an extent but the veil of secrecy does confuse me a bit. i can't understand why your clients wouldn't want people to see their websites? particularly if they are customised for each client, what am i going to do with it?

i can only imagine the fury of your clients when you passed on the address of their website to someone :loopy:

There is no "veil of secrecy".

The point is that I do not assume that its OK to post a link (which, as Sheffield Forum ranks very highly in Google may put an unwanted entry in the search engines) to a client website to simply prove a point to someone trying to look clever on a forum!

If someone was interested in purchasing one of the website options and wanted to see something similar, I'd have no hesitation in seeking permission from the client in sending a link on. I do not own my clients websites now, they do. Therefore, its not for me to go dishing out links on random websites.

There is no "veil of secrecy".

The point is that I do not assume that its OK to post a link (which, as Sheffield Forum ranks very highly in Google may put an unwanted entry in the search engines) to a client website to simply prove a point to someone trying to look clever on a forum!

If someone was interested in purchasing one of the website options and wanted to see something similar, I'd have no hesitation in seeking permission from the client in sending a link on. I do not own my clients websites now, they do. Therefore, its not for me to go dishing out links on random websites.

i'm not trying to look clever. i'm merely interested. your first point is a valid one however.

to get back to the original point seeing as people are bleating on about deviating the topic slightly away from the OP's question - this is a very effective form of marketing but i can't see it being viable as a standalone business as it wouldn't cost a huge amount or be particularly for clubs to do it themselves off their own back.

You really don't know anything do you? There are 100's of well established and successful companies built around sms marketing e.g.

http://www.powertext.co.uk (based in Sheffield and have been going for years)

http://www.dynmark.com

http://www.mxtelecom.com

http://www.bulksms.co.uk/

etc etc etc.

To send out sms's to a large database of subscribers is not just a case of typing the numbers into a mobile phone and pressing send. A large organisation may have 100,000 or more mobile numbers in their database. These would need to managed and maintained effectively, and to do this you need a solid and effecient technical infrastructure which can handle sending that volume of data quickly and reliably as well as automatically managing unsubscribe (and subscribe) requests etc.

You really don't know anything do you? There are 100's of well established and successful companies built around sms marketing e.g.

http://www.powertext.co.uk (based in Sheffield and have been going for years)

http://www.dynmark.com

http://www.mxtelecom.com

http://www.bulksms.co.uk/

etc etc etc.

To send out sms's to a large database of subscribers is not just a case of typing the numbers into a mobile phone and pressing send. A large organisation may have 100,000 or more mobile numbers in their database. These would need to managed and maintained effectively, and to do this you need a solid and effecient technical infrastructure which can handle sending that volume of data quickly and reliably as well as automatically managing unsubscribe (and subscribe) requests etc.

magificent. and if you bothered to read the OP, the target market for this business is the owners of bars and clubs. hence your statistic with regards to 100000 people is completely irrelevent. this is far more small scale.

if I owned a small bar, i'd do it myself rather than pay for a solution catering for much more than i needed.

Cool. I know of the scenario re clubs trying to get people on mailing lists, and SMS lists are just a progression of that idea. It just seemed timely, as I'm about to cancel a credit card, because they have started spamming me with SMS.

hardly. i certainly thought i was participating in a discussion regarding this new business. are all of my points completely invalid then? as we have discovered and i have already pointed out, the OP has invested a relatively small amount into this venture - others may have invested a lot more, and insufficient research is a killer. the only person killing the thread on here was the exile character getting upset at people commenting on things when they don't have a degree in the relevent topic area.

you another sensitive poster then! "i can't post because the nasty person is making sarcastic comments!"

No, not invalid, just not the direction the OP was hoping for. It's more "what's the point in posting when it'll just get buried in bickering and point scoring?"

Archived