Research finds no bias towards migrants for council housing

A basic report here http://www.itv.com/news/articles/immigrant-housing-priority-a-myth-597496103.html

and the full report here http://www.equalityhumanrights.com/media-centre/research-finds-no-bias-in-allocation-of-social-housing/

87.8% of people in social housing were born in the UK, and only 1.8% had moved to the UK in the last 5 years. This must be disappointing news for those who like to play the victim card and claim that British people are treated as "second class" when it comes to social housing. Clearly they aren't

Do you know how many UK born people who have been/become eligibile for social housing in the last 5 years have been housed in or live in social housing?

If 10% of social housing tenants are foreign born, and only 8% of the UK population foreign born, whilst 88% are UK born yet make up 92% of the UK population, then there is bias, albeit small.

Whilst the rest of your quote is a good analysis of the flaws in the report, I'd expect this particular comment can be explained fairly easily by social housing being aimed at lower incomes and foreign born people tending to have lower incomes. (from here) - "# Around two-fifths of people from ethnic minorities live in low-income households, twice the rate for White people.".

Do you know how many UK born people who have been/become eligibile for social housing in the last 5 years have been housed in or live in social housing?

No, I'm not sure if there are figures available. It should be noted that ALL UK and Rep of Ireland citizens are eligible for social housing (i.e. eligible to put their name down on the list) unless they've been out of the country for a long time and they fail the 'habitual residence test'.

However, only a small percentage of those will have been newly-housed in social housing in the last 5 years because social housing is now strictly rationed based on need, i.e. the majority of social housing goes to those with a particular need, which will usually be homelessness or a health need to move, or extreme overcrowding.

This is because the amount of social housing has reduced dramatically, through a combination of selling it off (Right to Buy) and the total failure to get much built to replace it. For example, Islington Council in London has around 15,000 people on its waiting list, and last year built 10 properties. Yep, 10. That's why housing is in such short supply, not because of migration. And that's why I welcome this research, because it makes it clear that migrants don't get a shoo-in, and aren't allocated social housing differently to anyone else. The rules are applied equally to all. Which loads of us knew anyway, but it's nice to have it confirmed.

You try telling that to the average unemployed chav or white trailer trash on the mannor estate.

Funny how none of them have ventured on to this thread. Probably afraid of humiliation by the 'loony left'

You couldn't make it up

Funny how none of them have ventured on to this thread. Probably afraid of humiliation by the 'loony left'

You couldn't make it up

Odd isn't it - only twenty something posts on a thread about immigration and housing, and none of the usual suspects to be seen anywhere. I guess there's nowt so dull as the truth, eh?

A basic report here http://www.itv.com/news/articles/immigrant-housing-priority-a-myth-597496103.html

and the full report here http://www.equalityhumanrights.com/media-centre/research-finds-no-bias-in-allocation-of-social-housing/

87.8% of people in social housing were born in the UK, and only 1.8% had moved to the UK in the last 5 years. This must be disappointing news for those who like to play the victim card and claim that British people are treated as "second class" when it comes to social housing. Clearly they aren't

Doesn't take much to pull the wool over your eyes does it - who conducted the research?

Statistics can prove anything and prove nothing - depending on who's compiling them. Stating who's living in social housing doesn't indicate, one way or the other, whether councils, such as Sheffield's, give priority to immigrants or asylum seekers which is what this research was meant to be about.

Whilst the rest of your quote is a good analysis of the flaws in the report, I'd expect this particular comment can be explained fairly easily by social housing being aimed at lower incomes and foreign born people tending to have lower incomes. (from here) - "# Around two-fifths of people from ethnic minorities live in low-income households, twice the rate for White people.".

In other words immigrants are indeed taking council housing,1 in 10 is given to immigrants,enough said.

Doesn't take much to pull the wool over your eyes does it - who conducted the research?

I suggest you post a link to some research by someone more independent that the IPPR that supports the opposite view point then.

I suggest you post a link to some research by someone more independent that the IPPR that supports the opposite view point then.

Statistics can prove anything and prove nothing - depending on who's compiling them.

Archived