Loch Fyne update!

mossdog

I actually work at Loch Fyne myself and yes we did have a Christmas party in June. Unfortunately we are too busy serving customers at Christmas to party ourselves and so we waited until we could party in the warmth at The Damhouse which i much say was great. Thankyou Shaun.

I would like to clear up with anyone that has any questions about the way we are paid that I myself, along with most of the staff at Loch Fyne, am actually under 22 and so I am not entitled to normal minimum wage but instead I get minimum wage for my age range which yes is under £5. Shock horror if you have a problem with that get onto the government for giving people under 22 such a poor minimum wage but it is not the restaurants fault. Tips are just an added bonus for us because we work so hard to try and make sure you enjoy your evening.

Yes your facts may have been quoted by the bbc but what do they know. The media like to bend facts.

We also work on a money belt system in our restaurant which means that every server keeps their own tips and we do not pool them or the managers receive an amount. We also receive credit card tips but as they are seen as a second income we are taxed by the government for them and so that is why we prefer cash tips.... not because it goes to the company instead.

Hopefully those that enjoy our service will join us again and those that haven't perhaps give us another chance.

I would like to clear up with anyone that has any questions about the way we are paid that I myself, along with most of the staff at Loch Fyne, am actually under 22 and so I am not entitled to normal minimum wage but instead I get minimum wage for my age range which yes is under £5. Shock horror if you have a problem with that get onto the government for giving people under 22 such a poor minimum wage but it is not the restaurants fault. Tips are just an added bonus for us because we work so hard to try and make sure you enjoy your evening.

The government are not paying your wage, Loch Fyne are. They are choosing to pay you less than £5 an hour and it's probably the reason that most of the staff (and I quote) are actually under 22. You do not state what your hourly rate of pay is, or what the hourly rate of pay for staff over 22 is. This would quite easily clear up the issue. Are you sure that the wages quoted in the article were for an under 22 year old?

Oh, and under £5 an hour is diabolical. Under 22 yrs old or not.

I actually work at Loch Fyne myself and yes we did have a Christmas party in June. Unfortunately we are too busy serving customers at Christmas to party ourselves and so we waited until we could party in the warmth at The Damhouse which i much say was great. Thankyou Shaun.

Yes your facts may have been quoted by the bbc but what do they know. The media like to bend facts.

We also work on a money belt system in our restaurant which means that every server keeps their own tips and we do not pool them or the managers receive an amount. We also receive credit card tips but as they are seen as a second income we are taxed by the government for them and so that is why we prefer cash tips.... not because it goes to the company instead.

Hopefully those that enjoy our service will join us again and those that haven't perhaps give us another chance.

Calm down! These people are on your side and want to see you earning a decent wage for what you do!

Went to lock fyne last night and found the food to be not only gorgeous but reasonably priced- has some amazing smoked salmon with a bream for main and both were beautifally cooked.

Will definately be returning soon.

I took my nan to Loch Fynn for her birthday last month, first time I had been.

It was fantastic. The food was delicious, the staff friendly and the prices fair.

I had poached smoked haddock with mash and mustard sauce, really really nice.

My nan had the fish and chips, she said it was the nicest she'd had in a long time. I tried an oyster for the first time. I wasn't sue at first but the staff were friendly enough to describe them when I asked.

I will definately be going again.

Madaboutfood - I'll remember cash tip next time:thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

Enjoyed lunch at Loch Fyne a couple of weeks ago - it's a good addition to Sheffiled eating places, BUT went there last night, and the atmosphere had changed completely. Loud music (I kind of like to talk to the people I'm with when I go out to eat, not listen to thumpa thumpa music) and there were a couple of tables were people were just screeching their heads off (not Loch Fyne's fault, of course). So, I'd go again for lunch, not so sure about the evening.

The service was very good. We left a cash tip. I always do - that way it should get to the person who served you.

• 2 weeks later...
The government are not paying your wage, Loch Fyne are. They are choosing to pay you less than £5 an hour and it's probably the reason that most of the staff (and I quote) are actually under 22. You do not state what your hourly rate of pay is, or what the hourly rate of pay for staff over 22 is. This would quite easily clear up the issue. Are you sure that the wages quoted in the article were for an under 22 year old?

Oh, and under £5 an hour is diabolical. Under 22 yrs old or not.

You are right it is the restaurant that pays my wages but at the end of the day they are a business and want to make as much money as possible so why wouldn't they pay out the least amount that they can. I know plenty of other businesses that also pay only minimum wage. The onus shouldnt be on them but on the government to force them to pay more.

I am paid £4.77 an hour but including tips it can make it up to £6 or 7 an hour. It is a diabolical amount but the restaurant isn't doing anything actually wrong by the law. I know that you all are just trying to stick up for us but I think expecting the restaurant to pay out more when they aren't forced to is just wishful thinking.

At the end of the day my issue wasn't with the wages but the fact that the media was making out that we were being paid under minimum wage but we aren't. I know for a fact that over 22s get their minimum wage too. Its £5.73 but with tips that can go up to £8 or £9.

To everyone that seems to be enjoying it im glad. Hopefully we will see u again soon.

Archived