Loch Fyne update!

mossdog

I took my other half to Loch Fyne on Monday, to celebrate his birthday, and it was lovely.

I had potted shrimps, fish & chips then creme brulee. He had goat's cheese tart, roast salmon then the largest portion of sticky toffee pudding I've ever seen!

All the food was delicious, and the staff lovely and friendly. We tipped in cash :)

We'll definitely be back!

• 2 weeks later...

first time to Loch Fyne last night bank hol monday and going on what was served it will be the last! mussels to start which were not cooked fresh but probably microwaved or reheated in the seving juice, luke warm and tough.

main course,roast salmon 2 small pieces dry and overcooked and again not fresh cooked warmed up in an oven i suspect, a small bucket of 6 measly chips which were soggy (oil not hot enough) poor leaf salad wilted all served on a bread board for £13.00, others on the table fared just as badly, tortellini was either microwaved or badly reheated as pasta was very dry and had hard edges. to be fair when they asked if we had enjoyed and we said no we were offered complimentary desserts and were not charged for the mussels but seriously a big operation like this should be able to produce simple dishes with ease! the place wasnt even busy, a shame as the waiting staff were good. i can feel a letter coming on to head office.

• 2 weeks later...

I went there yesterday and ordered 4 different marinated types of herring fillet and then the fish and chips.

Herring fillets were OK, but nothing special. Marinades were less than inspiring and didn't do one of my favourite starters justice.

Fish and chips was utterly abominable. Haddock tasted old and tired and the batter was completely wrong, which meant that the fat had penetrated it and ruined the fish inside. I ate about a quarter of it and left the rest. I would have complained, but somebody else was buying and they enjoyed their meal, (although what I saw of it, didn't impress me either). My sister's fish and chips was barely covered by batter, there was a thin layer which had almost entirely fallen off, which meant her fish was completely inedible.

If you want good fish to eat, learn to cook it at home, because then you can judge for yourself whether the fish is fresh enough. Restaurants have a nasty habit of turning out less than fresh fish, which I have no doubt was one of the problems yesterday.

The chips were excellent though and the sides were OK.

I went there yesterday and ordered 4 different marinated types of herring fillet and then the fish and chips.

Herring fillets were OK, but nothing special. Marinades were less than inspiring and didn't do one of my favourite starters justice.

Fish and chips was utterly abominable. Haddock tasted old and tired and the batter was completely wrong, which meant that the fat had penetrated it and ruined the fish inside. I ate about a quarter of it and left the rest. I would have complained, but somebody else was buying and they enjoyed their meal, (although what I saw of it, didn't impress me either). My sister's fish and chips was barely covered by batter, there was a thin layer which had almost entirely fallen off, which meant her fish was completely inedible.

I cook fish and chips all the time at home and even when guessing the recipe for the batter, I've never had results anywhere as bad as this. I have no idea how a professional kitchen with (supposedly) professional cooks can mess up this simple dish. I'm guessing the temperature of the fat was wrong, but I will be telling everybody I know to steer well clear of the place.

If you want good fish to eat, learn to cook it at home, because then you can judge for yourself whether the fish is fresh enough. Restaurants have a nasty habit of turning out less than fresh fish, which I have no doubt was one of the problems yesterday.

The chips were excellent though and the sides were OK.

So you didn't complain ?? more fool you then .. You paid for a meal that was no where near your expectations ?? Who's the numpty now then ?? If people that are dissatisfied complain at the establishment in question then perhaps they may make a difference rather than griping on about it on here.... :huh:

So you didn't complain ?? more fool you then .. You paid for a meal that was no where near your expectations ?? Who's the numpty now then ?? If people that are dissatisfied complain at the establishment in question then perhaps they may make a difference rather than griping on about it on here.... :huh:

The reason I didn't complain (if you read my post more carefully) is precisely because I didn't pay for the meal.

I eat out for a number of reasons including, but not restricted to:

- to eat nice food,

- to enjoy the company of friends and family and a nice atmosphere.

If I had complained, the second of those two would have gone straight out of the window after the first which had already ruined the experience for me. I wasn't about to ruin it for my friends who were paying and were enjoying their meal.

I take your point though and rest assured if I had been paying myself, then I would have made my feelings very clear and had no compunction about giving the manager a piece of my mind.

I went for a meal here last night and had a great time. I'm not really a big fish eater so I got the fish & chips which was really tasty. My partner had sea bass and scallops and said she thoroughly enjoyed it. The staff were friendly and attentive without being intrusive and to top it off we got a free half bottle of champagne because they were busy and needed our table so asked if we wouldn't mind finishing our drinks off at the bar (we were just about ready to leave anyway).

I think we'll definitely be going back.

I've said this before, but I really like Loch Fyne, always have. I think it's reasonable prices for what you get and I have always found the fish there very good. It was nice when we went a few weeks ago to see that the menu had changed (as it had always been the same every other time I've been) and I had prawns which were lovely (I wish they'd been shelled as I don't like shelling prawns myself but that's just personal preference). I am also incredibly pleased that that lovely site is now occupied by Loch Fyne rather than that horrible American diner thing which used to be there -horrendous.

Archived