Bradfield Road car park (Hillsborough) - charges and "fines"

That sounds like blackmail or if not, itwould certainly be an offence under Administration of Justice Act.

What happened in the end?

Which company was it?

It would be a civil offence under 'unreasonable charges' logic. They saw a solicitor about it who said that a court would look at similar parking charges in the area (usually the nearest council parking meter) and deem whether the charge was reasonable.

In this case the council charged £2.00 for 15 minutes which equated to £8.00 an hour. My friend had been there for 20 mins so the £140 charge equated to £560 an hour which any court would deem unreasonable and order that the money be repayed.

However.............

The solicitor advised them not to bother, as the parking company was a based in a portakabin in Uxbridge and it would be virtually impossible to recover any money. :(

Can't remember who the company was but they were based in West London.

John X

It would be a civil offence under 'unreasonable charges' logic. They saw a solicitor about it who said that a court would look at similar parking charges in the area (usually the nearest council parking meter) and deem whether the charge was reasonable.

In this case the council charged £2.00 for 15 minutes which equated to £8.00 an hour. My friend had been there for 20 mins so the £140 charge equated to £560 an hour which any court would deem unreasonable and order that the money be repayed.

However.............

The solicitor advised them not to bother, as the parking company was a based in a portakabin in Uxbridge and it would be virtually impossible to recover any money. :(

Can't remember who the company was but they were based in West London.

John X

Hate hearing stories like this.... Sad that such companies, people exist really.

Think id have been cutting that clamp off personally..

Does this apply to Meadowhall Retail Park or Tesco at Upperthorpe?

What about compiling a list of car parks so people don't fall for these scams?

Retail Park deffo as I've had about 15 tickets from there when I used to go fishing on the canal at the back.

There's really no need to do a list. If your ticket is a Penalty Charge Notice issued by the Police or local council, then pay it (if you think it was legally issued)

Anything else just put in the bin!

Simple

John X

The solicitor advised them not to bother, as the parking company was a based in a portakabin in Uxbridge and it would be virtually impossible to recover any money.

Well yes there's no point in suing private parking companies. They tend to hide behind a string of PO Box and forwarding addresses and place false information at Companies House. Some have 50 unpaid CCJs. Bailiffs will have difficulty finding anything of value to recoup.

HOWEVER the landowner is jointly and severally liable. They hired the PPC. The PPC is acting as their agent. Your friend still has plenty of time to sue the landowner instead. The first step is to send them a Letter Before Action.

I hope he still has any paperwork he was given and any other evidence.

He can find out more at ConsumerActionGroup, Pepipoo or MoneySavingExpert.

Edited by garrence

• 1 month later...

Drove into the car park behind Dunelm Mills in Hillsborough a while ago, couldn't find a space, waited for a while then left. Then I started getting threatening letters demanding I pay a fine. Outrageous! Anyone else had problems with this?

Edited by JuncoGardner
mistake!

Drove into the car park behind Dunelm Mills in Hillsborough a while ago, couldn't find a space, waited for a while then left. Then I started getting threatening letters demanding I pay a fine. Outrageous! Anyone else had problems with this?

You mean you parked where you wanted quickly popped to the shop and then went, and now because you got caught you want to get out of it??

our son had exactly the same thing done to him.just keep filing the letters under B for bin.They can't enforce the fine.