Early closing at the Union Hotel

I was in the Union Hotel at Netheredge last Monday night (Bank Holiday) and they decided to close at 10.30 pm. Is this common for Sheffield pubs becasue I have never heard of this happening before. Some of the locals didn't like it and one of them I think got banned by the landlord for complaining. Mind you I wasn't best pleased either. Don't think Ill be going back there again.

Just read your posting. The landlord of the Union runs quite a tight operation and is well liked in the area generally. It is in a densley populated location and he get's few if any complaints. If he saw fit to close at 1030 what's the big deal? There are loads of places open later. Late drinking is OK, in the right location, the Union Hotel is not that location. Besides which he is entitled to a life as well.

I always assumed that pubs closing early on Bank Holidays was because they were using Sunday opening and closing time hours on these days. :confused:

Not sure but before all the licenced changes re: new opening hours, were made I thought that's why they had to close early :confused:

Originally posted by stephanie

We used to go in there all the time when I lived in Nether Edge about 4/5 years ago. Are Paddy & Beryl still there, with their dog?

They have gone with their knitted dolls. But the guy who was the bar man/manger type.. dark hair and a thick neck is the landlord with his wife and they have a little kid. There's a replacement dog too!

Still the same atmosphere there and still the same faces at teh bar.

• 3 years later...

Can anyone remember the "Tuck Shop". This was a sweet shop which appears to have been built into the walls of the Union Hotel on Machon Bank Road.

It was run by a lady called Kitchin in the 1920s. She was my great great aunt. The family had built a couple of pubs and a brewery in Baslow, and in the late 19th century arrived at Netheredge to open the sweet shop.

Any information would be welcome.

Archived