Dulo's closing down!

the_boss

Wouldn't it be nice if some entrepreneur bought it and made it a proper pub with decent ale like it used to be when it was known as the Royal Oak rather than a trendy "pre-club" bar? There's certainly a gap in the market for a real ale pub in the London Road area.

Tend to agree. The Cremorne has the odd decent beer on, but it just depends how brave I'm feeling as to whether I go there. Some of the pubs down that way are shocking - Barry's Bar always springs to mind. I've never been, but it always looks like the sort of place you'd expect to see in some awful Magaluf resort so don't intend to visit in the near future!

• 1 month later...
Some of the pubs down that way are shocking - Barry's Bar always springs to mind. I've never been

I find it's always better to comment on places you HAVE been to.

Dulo was not a trendy pre-club bar and London Rd does not need a real ale pub. It needs something to satiate all the thirty somethings that live nearby and eat in the restaurants and maybe a place to serve beer to the thousands of students that live next door.

Perhaps if you'd bothered to read the full sentence it may have made more sense to you.

West Street caters to the thousands of students quite adaquately, as does the lower end of Ecclesall Road. I don't think more places need to dumb down to the student level of service (and price).

I read in Exposed that the people behind Dulo are opening a new bar, where the Circle Bar used to be on Arundel Gate. The Circle Bar rings a bell but I can't for the life of me remember where it was! Anyone else remember?

Dulo was not a trendy pre-club bar and London Rd does not need a real ale pub. It needs something to satiate all the thirty somethings that live nearby and eat in the restaurants and maybe a place to serve beer to the thousands of students that live next door.

Are you implying that thirty somethings and students don't drink real ale?

"Real ale pub" implies a certain type of pub, that's all. A type that's not usually particularly welcoming to students and strangers.

Brianthedog: If you've been to the pub I'll listen to your opinion, if you haven't, I'll not. And you state that you haven't. Simple.

I read in Exposed that the people behind Dulo are opening a new bar, where the Circle Bar used to be on Arundel Gate. The Circle Bar rings a bell but I can't for the life of me remember where it was! Anyone else remember?

Next to the O2 Academy across the road from TJ Hughes.

"Real ale pub" implies a certain type of pub, that's all. A type that's not usually particularly welcoming to students and strangers.

Brianthedog: If you've been to the pub I'll listen to your opinion, if you haven't, I'll not. And you state that you haven't. Simple.

I think these days the term is meaningless other than a pub that serves real ale.

However it is accepted these days that real ale is your high quality beer with full flavour brewed with good ingredients and served fresh and natural, partly thanks to the explosion of local craft breweries such as The Brew Company, Bradfield Brewery, Abbeydale Brewery, Thornbridge Brewery, Sheffield Brewery Company, Crown Brewery, Kelham Island Brewery etc, along with a bigger interest in food provenance, quality and environmental issues.

Just using the city centre as an example, real ale can be found in a diverse range of pubs and bars such as the Old Queens Head, Howard, Dove & Rainbow, Wig & Pen, Varsity, Old House, Bath Hotel, Red Lion, Bungalows & Bears and Devonshire Arms. Real Ale can also be found in the Interval Bar in Sheffield Student Union.

Whilst Dulo didn't have proper ale, it quite clearly had other attractions that made up for it and was very popular. Hopefully someone else will take it on and open a bar there. In the meantime I wish the old Dulo team every success in their new venture, I wonder if there will be local ales on handpump there like when it was Circle....?

Archived