Grieving for inanimate objects

My Miele washing machine. It's kind of like my car substitute (I can't drive alas).

I check the body work apprehensively for scratches, clean it reverently with expensive E-cloths and take it for a spin a couple of times a week. At times I've been known to appreciatively caress its fine lines.

I really need to get out more! :D

And I thought I was bad for getting so attached to a recliner!

(I do kind of like my washer dryer and my dishwasher too though ;) )

My dad used to have a white jaguar, the sort seen in the opening credits of The Sweeny. It had a plush leather interior with a wooden finish. He traded it in for a Bedford van so we could go to the Isle of Man TT races with a couple of trials bikes and internal bunks.

Shame.

Dredging up this horribly old thread rather than posting a new one.

I've spent the last month in the wrong recliner ('Oh no Gromit! It's the wrong recliner!' etc).

My recliner is at one end of the sofa, the end that I can operate easily with my gammy arm, and with somewhere to put my cup of tea where it can be reached without the risk of spilling it everywhere.

I thought that it was just a recliner, but when the mechanism broke and I had to sit at the other end of the sofa, the end with the mechanism that's hard to operate for me and all that, I realised that over the years it's become my recliner. It's gradually shaped to the right shape to be mine, supporting my back at the right places and with dimples in all the right places. Lying in the other recliner just wasn't right.

I realised this morning as the mechanism to my recliner, which had been away for repair, was replaced that suddenly all was right with the world, and all that it took for this to be so was a move of chairs in the living room.

So I've come to the conclusion that I'm completely irrationally attached to my recliner, even worse than I was towards my last car.

Good lord, Medusa, that gave me a start. I'd completely forgotten this old thread, and thought my account had been hacked :)

To round off the story, we sold the land rover, bought an estate, got married, had kids, bought a bigger house with a garage this very year, and his majesty is planning to pick up another ancient project land rover in the next couple of years. Blimey, all that, and we still have the estate we traded that old Landy in for...and yes, he still mourns it...

My trusty mobile which I've had for 12 years finally went to the great electronic graveyard today. Now I realise that I bought this in the previous century, the previous millennium even, it was so ancient as to not have a colour screen let alone anything else. It was virtually steam driven.

I've now got a nice new shiny mobile that allegedly will do everything up to and including make the coffee, but........................

I'll miss the old one.

RIP my ancient mobile.

Is this it?

My Guitars, without a doubt. I know what it's like as well a friend of mine was playing one of my beauties and the strap cam off, causing it to fall onto the concrete floor below. It's neck was broken!! ONly the strings were holding it together!! I didn't see it but I heard it and immediately a small part of me died, I knew what had happened. Fortunately later that small part of me was revived when it was fixed, but it was a horrible day. And now I put straplocks on all of my guitars as standard, lesson learned.

I would never sell my favorite guitars, not even if I had a crack habit, they are the only thing in this world that is sacred.

Archived