Thieving from city centre fountain -Couldn't believe my eyes

Or the only ones that begrudge people who are on their backsides getting a few coppers out of there.

It's arguably going to the homeless direct - cutting out the middle man.

Imagine how desperate you'd have to be to do that. It sad - not disgusting.

So they are homeless as well? Don't jump to conclusions, and if they were homeless there is systems in place to give them the basics.

Would you not pick money up from a public place? Most people would.

No not if it was left for another purpose.

People leave alot of things in public, toys on graves, yellow bikes from the tour de france, yarn bombing etc. Keep yer paws off.

Or the only ones that begrudge people who are on their backsides getting a few coppers out of there.

It's arguably going to the homeless direct - cutting out the middle man.

Imagine how desperate you'd have to be to do that. It sad - not disgusting.

The fact that some people are down on their luck, or on their finances, does not change the fact that the money is not theirs, and as such it's theft.

If I throw some money in there in the belief (mistaken or not) that it's going to charity, then someone comes along and takes it, it is stealing. If I wanted my money to go to a homeless person I would have given it to a homeless person. It's sad that some people are down and out but that doesn't give them permission to take what is not theirs.

X

I didn't know that, do you have a link to any evidence?

I think it is perfectly acceptable to pick coins up in public. If people were aware it was for charity then possibly there is a moral issue (although morals are only for those that can afford them)

Morals are for those who have been taught them and uphold them whether they can afford them or not - those without them are the ones thieving money out of fountains and taking flowers and ornaments off graves -shame on them - bet their parents are very proud of them :rant:

Edited by Daven

I worked at DLA Piper next to peace gardens for about 6months, back in 2007-8. I would often see early morning some chap on a mobility scooter zoom round to all the fountain bottoms and help himself to the coins.

Do i think it's wrong? Hmm. If there were signs up indicating what the council do with the money, then i would say it's wrong.

I found a soggy £5 in the street the other day. It paid for my lunch...Thankyou very much.

Edited by GLASGOWOODS

Guest makapaka
The fact that some people are down on their luck, or on their finances, does not change the fact that the money is not theirs, and as such it's theft.

If I throw some money in there in the belief (mistaken or not) that it's going to charity, then someone comes along and takes it, it is stealing. If I wanted my money to go to a homeless person I would have given it to a homeless person. It's sad that some people are down and out but that doesn't give them permission to take what is not theirs.

Stop throwing your money in a fountain outside the city hall then. Put in a charity box instead. Then you don't have to worry about it no more.

Well after reading this thread I set off last night into town and went to the fountains with my waders and a fishing net, but frustratingly all of the coins were gone. Those thieving rascals make my blood boil.

---------- Post added 23-07-2016 at 09:18 ----------

I found a soggy £5 in the street the other day. It paid for my lunch...Thankyou very much.

It hasn't rained for quite a long time, so i'd be questioning why it was soggy! :gag:

Why do people throw money into pools and fountains? I've never understood it, but thought it might be for luck or something like that. It's certainly not a rational thing to do so what is the intention behind it?