Down Broadway, High Street

Chris M

Was one of the first clubs I went to, wasn't old enough to drink so we'd get a pass out and go to the Stonehouse. Blue Bell was a bit too close, some m8's had been pulled in there for under age drinking. I remember they played some fab music. lots of the drifters, Motown and The Four Seasons. Songs I particularly remember where. Saturday Night at the Movies , My Cherie Amour and Shes Looking Good by Rodger Collins. Never had so much fun with so little alcohol since :)

I used to go there and IS MAD MICK? NEWEY WEDNESDAY ITE went on to be a steward you took more money than JACK CHARLTON if thats you can you believe we are doing this

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...

My memory of Down Broadway is standing in the shoe shop doorway with my young sisters Paintwheels toy set to spell 'MOJO'. Rolling the wheel onto the back of my mate's hands. They then smudged it and never failed to get in until they caught on at the door and changed the passout stamp.

We used to go from there to the Mustard Seed.

Our drinking {under age} was done in the old Mulberry.

Hi Folks,

Check out the recent Forum thread about a new Mojo book. Its about local Pop Art painted in some of Sheffields clubs in the 60s, including the Broadway. I did some of those paintings, Broadway included.

There is a book signing with all three authors including Peter Stringfellow on Nov 3 at Trippetts wine bar from 7.30 onwards.

Yes, the Broadway was amazingly small, and certainly was not the Mojo, but I did get some really good nights there. Incidentally, really good soul (now known as Northern) Ska, Blue Beat and Reggae had all regularly been played at the Mojo, so those sounds you heard at the Broadway were just continuing the that ideal.

Thanks for the info - the book sounds interesting - good Christmas pressy !

I have many memories of Down Broadway - but can't remember the decor ?

Please support this everyone.

Cheers Chris

(Keep the faith)