Down Broadway, High Street

Chris M

I was there for Billy Stewart. I called Pete Stringfellow a couple of days before to confirm that it really would be him (and not a "copy") since Jr Walker was appearing the same day at Retford's Broken Wheel. Pete assured me it was Billy. We (Rod Dale) and me went there and when we saw Billy we weren't sure. Then he sang. No doubt!

Many, many fond memories of Mojo, "Mojo in the City" - City Hall, and less so Down Broadway - anyone remember Cinderella's in Leeds? But certainly I remember Mojo with affection - even now I'm amazed at the calibre of artists I saw there!

I rember it well great nights does anyone out there remember the night Billy Stewart played he was AMAZING think he died not long after as never saw him anywhere else

I will never forget the Billy Stewart show. I may be wrong but was it not on a Sunday afternoon, I saw Billy and then rushed of to the Highway 61 to DJ, mind you it was a long time ago. Anyone remember seeing Fleetwood Mac there?

In 1971 or 72 I saw members of Yes (Chris Squire, Jon Anderson and Bill Bruford)walking up and down the High St obviously looking for someplace. The someplace turned out to be Down Broadway where they'd played before they became famous. I pointed out where it had been and gave them a potted history before we parted- me to work and them to the City Hall. I also remember seeing Jethro Tull and Johnny Johnsons Bandwagon at Down Broadway, and hearing Get Back played for the first time. It was also the place where I picked up (as opposed going out with someone I was already acquainted with) my first girlfriend only to be dumped when she discovered I hadn't got a scooter! Happy days!

It could have been a Sunday so so long ago.

I too went to the MOJO more then Broadway it was good but we will never have anything to equal the MOJO sorry for all those people who never got a chance to experience it.

Never went to Cinderellas tried the Penthouse a couple of times but not for me.

Yes it was a Sunday that Billy Stewart played the Broadway! Two reasons. Big name artists & groups were cheaper to book on Sundays, and yes it was the same day that Junior Walker and ther All Stars played the Broken Wheel.

I had real dilemma that day. Junior or Billy. Didn't have a car so couldnt do both. Went to see Junior at the Wheel who was a blast! Sad to miss Billy though. With some of his band dying with him that sound was gone forever.

I used to go to DB for the Monday progressive nights,in fact I was the (world's worst) DJ there,Peter S not knowing what to play.It was fun and I got to see a lot of good bands for free.As was mentioned earlier it was a very small place so they couldn't pull the money in to pay any established bands.But some bands who were just getting known played there.Everybody seems to know that Yes played there but I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned Jethro Tull.Also the Village featuring organ whizz kid Peter Bardens and later Elvis Costello bassist Bruce Thomas,Woody Kern from Nottingham one of whom was to be in the first version of Roxy Music,and Union Blues from London whose vocalist Nick Payn switched to sax and is currently with Bill Wyman having previously been with Gary Moore and Chas and Dave among many others.Of the local bands there were Shape of the Rain,Pharmaceutical Earthmover and possibly McCloskey's Apocalypse.Also,John Peel came one night and played all sorts of goodies.Incidentally,Fleetwwod Mac never played at either DB or the Mojo but their component members would have played at the latter.