Your Memories of Oughtibridge

i married barrie guy from oughtibridge in 1969 lived in deepcar till 1973 we both left and went to grimsby .

barrie can remember stan lewis and john , john was barrie's best man at our wedding and we had our reception at the travellers , he can remember a janet she had a little mini car which she gave us a lift home after being at a party with trever and another girl called ann , that is if this is the same girl i think they called her moor but not sure .

My wife, Debbie lived all her life in Oughtibridge before she married me - that was in 1980 when we went to live in Woodseats

She used to live on Naylor Grove - her mum and dad were George and Mavis Stride, and her two brothers Nigel and Paul

She went to the Primary School and then to Bradfield - she left there in 1975 to work at Cole Bros.

Nigel left Oughtibridge early 70's to go to Uni in London - never came back and he still lives there, but retired now

Paul left early 80's - now lives Firth Park

George & Mavis both died, sadly, within ten days of each other in 1989

Mavis's family were long time Oughtibridge residents - before moving up to Naylor Grove they used to have a place at the back of the butchers down in the village.

Debbie has some very fond memories of her childhood in the village and is looking forward to bring our granddaughter up to the park sometime (we now live in Rutland)

I am writing this for the missus 'cus she and computers dont get on - every time she sits at one it seems to always go wrong!

was mavis maiden name westwood , where was naylor grove in oughtibridge or was it rd

Bobilly

Yes Mavis's maiden name was Westwood. Actually my apologies - all the family referred to the address as Naylor Grove, but it was the maisonettes on Haggstones Road - it was just that the postal address was Naylor Grove - which is a tiny cul de sac

Hi BobillyYes this is the Janet that had the mini & I used to work at the Travellers. I was devastated to hear John had been killed many years ago.I remember the Trevor you mentioned (curly blondish hair). Surprised to hear you had moved to Grimsby but hey why not? I moved to Australia haha.

Ask Barrie if he remembers a friend of Lewis's that was in the RAF called Clive Shepherd?

We used to have some good times in the Travellers. Wonder what ever became of Henry & Esme that ran it, then there was Cyril & Joyce. Gee thas all back in the sisties isnt it? Hope you & Barrie had a good life, he was a good "GUY"

Cheers Janet

Hi Janet yes Barrie remembers Clive Shepherd but has not got any idea as to what happend to Henry and Esme or Cyril and Joyce .

we don't get back to that neck of the woods very often ,it has all changed now .

with all the one way systems and new builds .

i think lewis is still around ,i can remember Barrie saying last time he went to Oughtibridge he called in to see Sylvia still in the paper shop but that was a long while ago .

I was born in Stocksbridge, moved to Stockarth Lane when I was 12 which wasnt quite Oughtibridge but post code was Oughtibridge. I also have happy memories of Oughtibridge. I used to work in the Travellers Rest in the 1960"s when Esme & Henry? were the landlord & landlady there. I knew Lewis from the papershop remember fondly a pal of mine Barry Guy, also an ex who I believe died in a car accident John Mackay. I spent hours on Jawbone Hill at Hills farm. I sued to get my hair done at the hairdressers in Oughtibridge(was it Muriels) I remeber another mate who used to drink in the Travellers called Stan who lived in the houses on the main Rd just along from the paper shop where Ken Sylvia & Lewis lived. We also used to dink in the other pubs(not much else to do in Oughtibridge in the 60"s haha) I later worked at the Blue Ball at Wharncliffe Side. My local though was the Middlewood Tavern which back then was a really popular little pub & was run by Jack & Mary Joyce.

So many many happy memories there. Sorry to hear its not like it used to be.

I was back in the UK in 2001 & was surprised to see even the changes to Stockarth Lane area. I also worked at Middlewood hospital (who didnt) It was either Fox's Dixons paper mill or Middlewood hospital for almost everyone back then wasnt it?

Now just about all those places are gone too I understand....how sad.

I remember Joe Quince?? Motorcycles and a garage,,that was in the 50's

My grandparents on my dads side lived in Oughtibridge most of their life - I know my grandad was born in 1903 and they bought a house on over an acre own of land on Langsett Road South (Springvilla) - must have been in the 30s - I think he paid three grand for it at the time! My dad grew up there in the 50's and I used to visit in the 80s and 90s until they moved out of there in around 1995. I do remember the park (still there today!) and the sweet shop... I did go back and visit yesterday with my own daughter (their great-grand-daughter). There's now two houses built on the land that was just the garden! Still looks as impressive as it ever did though, with it's smaller garden.

I did notice that it was far more busy than I ever remember it though, like most other people have said on this thread! Less off a little village now and more of a busy suburb of Sheffield.

Archived