Appeal for Memories Of The Omega (Baldwin's) Restaurant Brincliffe

We are compiling a history book of Baldwin's omega from when it was part of the brincliffe estate to present day. Do you have memories of the building or any useful information or photographs from the past. The building has been a fashionable restaurant sine 1960's and before this a tennis club and a school any information or stories from any time in the history will be really appreciated.

Thanks I look forward to hearing your tales

Polly Baldwin

hiya polly Baldwin, just seen a photograph of your dad david on another site along with his school mates matter of fact there were two he was around 11/12yo at the time, he looked just as I remembered him at school, his best mate Derek walker was on them too.

Edited by willybite

I started my first job after school at the OMEGA in 1965,the chef was JOHN mason,the veg chefs last name was JOHNSON and his wife did the sweet trolly.The Saucier was FRANK SHAW,and the chef tournant was I think called PETER DAWSON.They didnt call DAVE BALDWIN big dave for nothing.his pants were so large that i remember putting both my legs in just one of his trouser legs , stood up and still had room to spare. Met PELE in 1966 when santos came to a buffet,shook hands and got his autograph which i still have. It was the start of a career that has seen me cater to a lot of BRITAINS pop music and tv stars here in L.A. I have a lot to thank it for. See you when I come to Sheffield again. best wishes and congratulations DAVE.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 years later...
On 15/07/2009 at 20:18, P Baldwin said:

We are compiling a history book of Baldwin's omega from when it was part of the brincliffe estate to present day. Do you have memories of the building or any useful information or photographs from the past. The building has been a fashionable restaurant sine 1960's and before this a tennis club and a school any information or stories from any time in the history will be really appreciated.

Thanks I look forward to hearing your tales

Polly Baldwin

Hi Polly,  I was the building foreman in charge of converting the old tennis club to the Omega for Sheffield Refreshment Houses, part of Kenwood hotel and various other hotels, Mr Milnes was the managing director then. ( we also built Kenwood Hall and various other extensions to the main house including a flat for Mr Dixon , of Dixons mint rock fame who was the chairman of the board ) I went to the opening function and I have the original menu, the ladies present were given a  silver/gold omega charm, We converted the building in 12 weeks!. I have several photos taken during construction including some by the telegraph and star. All the sub contractor firms were  shareholders. I can be contacted on nearly.perfect@talktalk.net, hope to hear from you soon

Kind regards, tom tertius