Non smokers in pub designated smoking zones.

Why would a non smoker want to sit in a smoke area to eat their meal ? :roll:

Fortunately,the "No-smoking in pubs and restaurants" law has put paid to that, pretty much, thank God, but, before the law came in, it was a total bane, as many eating-places allowed smoking.

A non-smoker had no option but to suffer the unpleasantness of others lighting up during a meal. And, as I said, trying to eat your food through a fug of someone else's smoke, is nothing short of vile.

Fortunately,the "No-smoking in pubs and restaurants" law has put paid to that, pretty much, thank God, but, before the law came in, it was a total bane, as many eating-places allowed smoking.

A non-smoker had no option but to suffer the unpleasantness of others lighting up during a meal. And, as I said, trying to eat your food through a fug of someone else's smoke, is nothing short of vile.

While I absolutely agree with what you're saying, the point is that these people had sat in a designated smoking area.

Plain Talker, why dont you do some Plain Reading and go back to the initial post, this happened in an Outside smoking Area!!!!!!!

Thankfully smokers now can (or so it seemed) enjoy their fags in peace away from all the obnoxious non smokers who are intent on spoiling other peoples pleasures

I dont smoke.

Although sounds like this woman was just being awkward.

They have an entire pub to eat their meal and yet they eat right next to smokers and expect them not to smoke.

People have pushed smokers out of pretty much everywhere give them a break.

Sometimes when I see Non smokers eating in DESIGNATED SMOKING AREAS I go and have a cigarette near them even if I do not feel like smoking one.:hihi::hihi:

Which makes it pretty stupid to go and sit in the smoking area and then complain doesn't it?

There are no designated smoking areas. There are merely areas where people may smoke if they wish. Before the ban on smoking in enlosed public places that was pretty much the designation of all areas of many pubs and restaurants. They were areas where the public could choose whether to smoke or not.

In these areas it was a matter of common decency not to impose smoke on diners who obviously did not want it. The same applies now.

I can fully understand that a smoker would feel agrieved by someone complaining about smoke in what they perceive as THEIR area, but the fact is that it isn't their area.

Smokers are perfectly free to use the non smoking area, just so long as they don't smoke. Similarly anyone can choose to sit outside a pub in the "smoking permitted" zones and have a right to expect a little consideration from other people, just as they should give some consideration to smokers in return.

There are no designated smoking areas. There are merely areas where people may smoke if they wish. Before the ban on smoking in enlosed public places that was pretty much the designation of all areas of many pubs and restaurants. They were areas where the public could choose whether to smoke or not.

In these areas it was a matter of common decency not to impose smoke on diners who obviously did not want it. The same applies now.

I can fully understand that a smoker would feel agrieved by someone complaining about smoke in what they perceive as THEIR area, but the fact is that it isn't their area.

Smokers are perfectly free to use the non smoking area, just so long as they don't smoke. Similarly anyone can choose to sit outside a pub in the "smoking permitted" zones and have a right to expect a little consideration from other people, just as they should give some consideration to smokers in return.

I think when an area has been fitted with ashtrays and other smoking related equipment, it's fair to say that its a smoking area.

There is a clear large sign at the pub that I am referring to which says "Smoking Area" . At the time when the smoking ban was introduced, the people who run the pub realised that lots of people still smoke and in an effort to reduce the loss of custom they built an area outside the pub specifically for smokers.

It is a lovely sheltered spot with a huge parasol, purpose built for SMOKERS. Of course Non Smokers may use the area too but may NOT complain about smoking in an area that was SPECIFICALLY built for smokers.

I feel that the problem at this specific pub is that the area is a lovely place to sit in during the summer and affords shelter from the heat of the sun. I feel that a minority, but NOT all customers envy it and attempt to unsmokify it.

I shall, like all other smokers continue to puff away in this area whether non smoking diners like it or not. If it was not for smokers the area would never have been built! I do NOT care if the non smokers are dining or not, if they dont like it they can go sit elsewhere!

I fear that with an attitude like yours, smokers would be forced out of pub grounds altogether and even more would close down. The smoking ban has killed off far too many pubs AND peoples businesses and jobs as it is!

Archived