Non smokers in pub designated smoking zones.

There are no designated smoking areas. There are merely areas where people may smoke if they wish. Before the ban on smoking in enlosed public places that was pretty much the designation of all areas of many pubs and restaurants. They were areas where the public could choose whether to smoke or not.

In these areas it was a matter of common decency not to impose smoke on diners who obviously did not want it. The same applies now.

I can fully understand that a smoker would feel agrieved by someone complaining about smoke in what they perceive as THEIR area, but the fact is that it isn't their area.

Smokers are perfectly free to use the non smoking area, just so long as they don't smoke. Similarly anyone can choose to sit outside a pub in the "smoking permitted" zones and have a right to expect a little consideration from other people, just as they should give some consideration to smokers in return.

Given that the majority of the pub is now non smoking (ie all the interior), the smokers have a limited area in which they can do so.

Going to sit out there (which I do, it's nice in the sun) and then complaining about the smoke is just stupid.

I have no idea what your babbling at before the smoking ban, any restaurant or other eating place I went to was fine, because they had designated smoking and non smoking areas and I could not see or smell any indication of anyone smoking and this is at various places over the country over a fair few years.

You must go to the pits to eat if you have such a bad experiance...you are also forgetting it is the smokers choice 'to suck on their poison stick' would you like it If I said I don't like people drinking wine because the colour offends me and if I saw you drinking wine (Im not implying you do just using it as an example) asked you to not drink it or move away? I don't think so wake up and join the real world PT :loopy:

This isn't accurate either though. Smoke has never understood that it should stay in it's own area, banning it in restaurants should have been done years before.

And there's a hell of a difference between being offended by something and being poisoned by it, there's no such thing as passive wine drinking.

Given that the majority of the pub is now non smoking (ie all the interior), the smokers have a limited area in which they can do so.

Going to sit out there (which I do, it's nice in the sun) and then complaining about the smoke is just stupid.

I didn't say that it wasn't.

It is just a matter of common courtesy and consideration. There is no such thing as a smoking area. It is not compulsary to smoke anywhere, and as you say some people might choose to sit outside, particularly if they have kids.

If someone is having a meal it would be common courtesy to ask if they would mind if you smoked, not simply to light up. If they did and there was nowhere else to sit, it would be fine to point out that this is an area designated for smoking and maybe light up.

It is this attitude of some smokers that non smokers were whingers and that they have a right to impose smoke on whover they choose that brought about the smoking ban in the first place.

The situation required consideration for others...and that is from both sides, smokers and non smokers, otherwise the ban is likely to be extended. It certain was in the USA and Canada.

This isn't accurate either though. Smoke has never understood that it should stay in it's own area, banning it in restaurants should have been done years before.

And there's a hell of a difference between being offended by something and being poisoned by it, there's no such thing as passive wine drinking.

I was using it as an example like (maybe not a good one, so Im going to alter my original post as I'm sick of morons using it in their worthless arguments) I stated a few posted back, do people not read!?

Ok if you would like a better example see andrejauns

A bit like sitting on the M1 with a picnic and complaining about the traffic. :hihi:

Would you go into a nightclub with a friend for a quiet drink and chat and their was a sign out side that says "loud music and stobe effect lights inside" and the ncomplain that the lights are distracting and the music too loud? Honestly you lot need to get a grip :loopy:

I was using it as an example like (maybe not a good one, so Im going to alter my original post as I'm sick of morons using it in their worthless arguments) I stated a few posted back, do people not read!?

Ok if you would like a better example see andrejauns

Would you go into a nightclub with a friend for a quiet drink and chat and their was a sign out side that says "loud music and stobe effect lights inside" and the ncomplain that the lights are distracting and the music too loud? Honestly you lot need to get a grip :loopy:

Your nerves are giving way and you have now had to resort to insults. Perhaps you need a nicotine fix to calm your nerves before you post again.

It is just a matter of common courtesy and consideration. There is no such thing as a smoking area. It is not compulsary to smoke anywhere, and as you say some people might choose to sit outside, particularly if they have kids.

If someone is having a meal it would be common courtesy to ask if they would mind if you smoked, not simply to light up. If they did and there was nowhere else to sit, it would be fine to point out that this is an area designated for smoking and maybe light up.

It is this attitude of some smokers that non smokers were whingers and that they have a right to impose smoke on whover they choose that brought about the smoking ban in the first place.

The situation required consideration for others...and that is from both sides, smokers and non smokers, otherwise the ban is likely to be extended. It certain was in the USA and Canada.

And some people might choose to smoke in that area, because they cannot choose to smoke in any other areas unlike the non-smoker who can choose to sit wherever they like.

Fair point with courtesy, yes it would have been courtious of Sentinel to have asked the lady and her friend if she minded, but for her to kick off like she did also shows she is also lacking courtesy.

It is common courtesy for someone who is offended by others smoking NOT to sit in a smoking area which is CLEARLY SIGNED and where ashtrays have been specifically provided. I will NEVER ask anyone if they mind me smoking in such an area. I am showing GREAT courtesy to non smokers by NOT smoking in any other area other than the one provided for that purpose....perhaps the courtesy should be returned!

Your nerves are giving way and you have now had to resort to insults. Perhaps you need a nicotine fix to calm your nerves before you post again.

Really? I don't smoke, never have, so the jokes on you :hihi:

what is it with people not reading posts :rolleyes:

Fair point with courtesy, yes it would have been courtious of Sentinel to have asked the lady and her friend if she minded, but for her to kick off like she did also shows she is also lacking courtesy.

As I have said all along it requires consideration from both sides.

If I were sat outside in the beer garden I wouldn't mind at all if someone came an lit up near me. If I was having a meal that would be different, and that would apply if I were a smoker or not. But if someone asked and there was nowhere else I would have to say "Yes, no problem".

Sadly common courtesy seems to have disappeared these days.

Archived