Taps and drills

i was the van driver 1975-76 had some good times delivering to manchester,london,birmingham,gateshead,also worked in the warehouse with i think dave johnson he lived on richmond hall road.also drove john mcgee to airports and social events.went past monday and said to the wife what a shame to see the place as it is,the reception used to be fantastic.

Does anyone remember Freddy Harrison?

He worked at Presto Tools, I think in the Drill Dept.

He was a very good artist.

He and his family lived on Penistone Road opposite the Park.

There were 3 boys Fred Allen and John.

I often wonder wher they all moved to and how life has treated them.

Happy Days! PopT

• 10 months later...

There were some proper characters at Prestos. The union meetings were an education, across the road where the main road is now, I think her name (the convenor) was Sylvia and she made Arthur Scargill look like Maggie Thatcher and if a pin dropped we would be out on the cobbles. I remember also the heady days of the Tory Government in the early eighties, when we were on a 3 day week. What with me being a young lad and living with Mummy and Daddy, i was heart broken when we went back on full time working.

• 2 weeks later...

i worked there in the 60s in the warehouse on the top floor i used to get the orders out ready for packing i worked with two sisters joyce and kath kath is still alive but joyce is not kath was the supervicer i left in 1973 when i got married

Archived