Tramlines Festival 2011

HarleyLive

I've lived in Sheffield all my life and although my downtown drinking days are pretty much behind me, I went down Sat night around 7:30pm and I thought the whole atmosphere around Division St was absolutley fantastic. I didn't get a ticket but wasn't too fussed because the chilled out, friendly revellers walking or sat in the road/pavement due to them closing the road off was an excellent idea. It was like free outside party. It didn't matter if you didn't get into the main stage area because there was so much going on in the other pubs. Live bands in the Frog & Parrot and The Green room. I opted for Olive which had an all acoustic live session which I thoroughly enjoyed as did everyone else in there. You didn't really need to be in the main stage area as there was so much going on and choice. The warm evening helped along with the Big wheel attracting people as well as the big screen in the Peace gardens with people sat on the grass area and enjoying the warm evening.

As someone has already said above, it felt like Sheffield was like a modern cosmopolitan city. Well done to everyone involved. I for one hope it happens again. It was the vibe more than anything.

How can we enjoy it if we can't even get in!

Saying "I'm sure they'll learn from any mistakes made" is no consolation to those of us who've missed out, especially as these mistakes were so simple and stupid.

And the person who said it was ticketed to prevent potential rioting - I don't see your logic there at all. Surely a situation where there are hundreds of people on the street (many drinking) on the wrong side of the fence, but not allowed inside even though it wasn't even half full is potentially a riotous situation. That's exactly what happened yesterday.

All of the shambolic issues have been raised already, and I really don't know what the thinking was behind some of them. Why let people have two tickets? That's just been completely abused by people who use two for themselves which gives them the luxury of being able to leave when they want and come back again later at their leisure, whilst some of us can't get a ticket at all. Surely it should have strictly been one ticket each, that's the fairest way.

And the fact that the main stage has been half empty is ridiculous. By using the ticket system most people have picked them up in the morning and then not used them until the evening. We wanted to go to the festival in the afternoon but couldn't get tickets, so imagine our annoyance when at 6.30pm we saw lots of people sat outside a bar near the Peace Gardens, still with as yet unused tickets in hand.

Oh, and the 'under 16s must be accompanied by an adult' rule - what happened to that?! The amount of 'Topshop' kids in their little gangs around Division Street was simply staggering, they all looked under 14 never mind 16. Yet they'd all somehow managed to get tickets, so no wonder they ran out so quick and there were none left for the rest of us (especially when they all took 2 each aswell).

Jon McClure said this was meant to be 'for the people of Sheffield' but that's just turned out to be rubbish. It's the council that's obviously done the whole organising side of it, and as usual have ruined it. I'm from Sheffield and live right here in the city centre, put my time and money into the city every day. Yet whenever there's an event, like this for example, it seems like it's only outsiders that benefit and lots of us are excluded - 90% of the people this weekend have seemed like visitors, who rarely if ever even come into Sheffield. I was looking forward to this festival as much as anyone but I never expected I'd actually be excluded. From the people I've seen and heard around town these last couple of days it's sad to have to say as many people have been left annoyed and disappointed.

I do think it is silly that there were only 5000 tickets for the entire day, and that many went unused until later, I suppose the organisers envisaged that people would go in and stay in all day, which was a bit short sighted really.

As for the "Topshop" kids, presumably they got tickets because they bothered to get up early and queue for hours as my daughter's friends did, and so could you have done. My daughter was only able to go because her friends had been able to pick up two tickets, otherwise she wouldn't have been able to go, because her disability stopped her from queuing herself. It is a shame that there doesn't seem to have been any way for disabled people who couldn't queue to get tickets , except to ask friends to get them, so it is good job they were allowed to get two.

The under 16's being accompanied by an adult was for Sunday only, I checked this with the organisers.

Saying "I'm sure they'll learn from any mistakes made" is no consolation to those of us who've missed out, especially as these mistakes were so simple and stupid.

And the person who said it was ticketed to prevent potential rioting - I don't see your logic there at all. Surely a situation where there are hundreds of people on the street (many drinking) on the wrong side of the fence, but not allowed inside even though it wasn't even half full is potentially a riotous situation. That's exactly what happened yesterday.

All of the shambolic issues have been raised already, and I really don't know what the thinking was behind some of them. Why let people have two tickets? That's just been completely abused by people who use two for themselves which gives them the luxury of being able to leave when they want and come back again later at their leisure, whilst some of us can't get a ticket at all. Surely it should have strictly been one ticket each, that's the fairest way.

And the fact that the main stage has been half empty is ridiculous. By using the ticket system most people have picked them up in the morning and then not used them until the evening. We wanted to go to the festival in the afternoon but couldn't get tickets, so imagine our annoyance when at 6.30pm we saw lots of people sat outside a bar near the Peace Gardens, still with as yet unused tickets in hand.

Oh, and the 'under 16s must be accompanied by an adult' rule - what happened to that?! The amount of 'Topshop' kids in their little gangs around Division Street was simply staggering, they all looked under 14 never mind 16. Yet they'd all somehow managed to get tickets, so no wonder they ran out so quick and there were none left for the rest of us (especially when they all took 2 each aswell).

Jon McClure said this was meant to be 'for the people of Sheffield' but that's just turned out to be rubbish. It's the council that's obviously done the whole organising side of it, and as usual have ruined it. I'm from Sheffield and live right here in the city centre, put my time and money into the city every day. Yet whenever there's an event, like this for example, it seems like it's only outsiders that benefit and lots of us are excluded - 90% of the people this weekend have seemed like visitors, who rarely if ever even come into Sheffield. I was looking forward to this festival as much as anyone but I never expected I'd actually be excluded. From the people I've seen and heard around town these last couple of days it's sad to have to say as many people have been left annoyed and disappointed.

I never said i agreed about the ticketing, I was suggesting the reason I felt the council enforced the ticketing. There were 20 plus other venues in the festival. I wonder if many of the people who left annoyed and disappointed visited many of them. I was running an event in the Harley and we were busy all day and night.

I have not visited the main stage. Walked past it earlier for Reverend, was brilliant atmosphere. Sheffield for the first time in years had a buzz, which alway decides to dissapate. An incredible amount of work was put into this event by the organisers and the people around them. I am massively gracious for it. It will onyl grow and grow. I can't wait for next year already.

I have been out all day today and unless I collapse will be out tonight. Sheffield has made me smile :)

stop moaning...my father in law popped in at 7pm, no queing, straight in. as for 16 year olds give them a break my 13 year old loved it....I'm also from sheffield as is my parents and grandparents and my husbands parents, oh and my sister and sister in law..bla bla and none of us live in the centre but we have all put our time and money into sheffield..just look at the bloody council tax we ALL pay....me my hubby and my 2 under 16 years sons had a good day and LOVED it.....

I thought it was flipping awesome. Didn't get a ticket for the main stage but, as everyone's said, the atmosphere was amazing. Highlight for me was Bromheads Jackets new songs in DQ followed by 80s Matchbox B-Line Disaster.

Looking forward to next year already

For the record, I finally got tickets at 5.30pm last night, so was able to enjoy Reverend and the Makers which was really good.

As for the "Topshop" kids, presumably they got tickets because they bothered to get up early and queue for hours as my daughter's friends did, and so could you have done.

Yes I could, but I'm sorry for not wanting to spend my day off getting up at 4am and queuing for 9 hours for the privelige of a ticket to an event that's supposedly free. If your daughter's friends were sad enough to queue for that long then good luck to them, they deserve a ticket. As long as they actually used them, rather than then hoarding them all day which I remember you already said they did on Saturday.

My daughter was only able to go because her friends had been able to pick up two tickets, otherwise she wouldn't have been able to go, because her disability stopped her from queuing herself. It is a shame that there doesn't seem to have been any way for disabled people who couldn't queue to get tickets

I don't want to offend here or speak out of turn, as I don't know what your daughter's disability actually is. But it was something which prevented her from queuing but not from entering Devonshire Green? Anyway, the circumstances you explain are fair enough, however the issue again is the fact that so many people abused the system and took 2 tickets for themselves, which is why Devonshire Green was half empty all weekend - it wasn't even full last night!

The under 16's being accompanied by an adult was for Sunday only, I checked this with the organisers.

If you went down there yesterday it wouldn't have taken you long to see that the organisers weren't enforcing this rule on Sunday either.

There were 20 plus other venues in the festival. I wonder if many of the people who left annoyed and disappointed visited many of them.

Well we checked out the World Stage at the Peace Gardens on Saturday afternoon, gave our custom to the Continental Markets, and listened to some good acoustic performances at SOYO on Sunday afternoon. But that's irrelevant. Again, I wasn't aware it was a pre-qualifier to have to visit some of the other venues for the privelige of then being allowed into the main arena. The acts on the main stage were the main attraction, for many that was the festival. So it's a shame that many missed out, partly due to bad organisation, and partly due to other people's selfishness.

Just like to say a big thank you to all involved in Tramlines. I really enjoyed it.

I went down the mainstage yesterday afternoon and caught everyone from Dead World Leaders onwards.

Thanks to the guy who was giving out the free ponchos - I've never been asked by so many people where i got my clothes from :hihi:

Jon McClure was brilliant- really was great to stand and watch so many people enjoying themselves - if the La's had followed him, it would have felt like an anticlimax so I'm almost glad they'd cancelled. Made me proud of our city and I felt excited in Sheffield for the first time in ages.

Was lovely to see so many faces from going out who often don't venture out that much anymore. Sheffield had a real vibe about it on Saturday night and even yesterday in the rain that soaks you through it felt great!

So cheers!

Sort out the website next year (I'd advise looking at the Ten foot tall one for aceness and ease) and let's not leave Sheffield without a big music event for another 22 years!

Archived