Tramlines Festival 2011

HarleyLive

My 11 year old daughter got back home tonight & had a VIP back stage with Pixie, she showed me all the pictures rubbing shoulders with the stars, I had no idea that she had a friend that's got something to do with the show or I'd have been there with her! :mad: Anyway at least I have a happy daughter for the next few days :)

Well I for one had a jolly good weekend and would like to say thank you to all the performers I saw, The performers I didn't as otherwise everyone and their wives would have been there, the organisers, the back stage staff, the street people and security, police, the vendors and pub staff, and the tram and bus drivers. Everyone! You've been brilliant!

So,who did I see?

My weekend was like this:

Fri:Kate Jackson,Heaven 17, The Crookes.

Saturday:Nedry, WorldStage, Reason 4 on the buskers bus ,Elephant Keys on the bb,Young Legionaires, Stuart Faulkner- well funny-Josh Radin, Nerina Pallot, Early Cartographers on the bb , Purgatory players, The Hosts.

Sunday:Pocket Satellite on the bb, Everly pregnant brothers on the bb and outside wig and pen,johnnyforeigner on the bb, Stuart Faulkner's Queen singalong on the bb, elephant keys,David J Roch, Futureheads, Ash, Standard Fare.

Hey,

We thought that was pretty good. Thanks for coming out and making it such a friendly party. Still things can always be better - so we would love to know - what were your highlights?

And what could we have done better.

The Tramlines Team. x

Generally all round I had a really good time so thank you to all those involved. I didn't make it to the Harley at all despite there being some excellent stuff on there.

My highlight has to be the busker bus. Saw several bands including The Reason 4 who were cheesetastic, a very loud and heckle friendly Elephant Keys, Early Cartographers who were most excellent at passing instruments around, then on Sunday Pocket Satellite who i've become an instant fan of, EPB including the Wig&Pen, Johnny Foreigner and Stuart Faulkner who was mucho fun.

Main stages were the big three, Heaven 17, Nerina Pallot and Ash.

Standard Fare at the Redhouse, E keys at the frog, LLD at Soyo.

The only gig I didn't like was The Crookes at the Shakespeare as I was far too hot and uncomfortable and had to leave despite the band being very good.

Next year involve the train station and it would be good to see The Howard getting back involved with music if that happened and Plug getting involved. That whole area including the seated tearing around Hallam could be used.

I agree it was a great event and good to have so many more venues involved. Having been all three years, this year definitely came across as more commercial, with more burger vans etc and Tramlines branded bars. I appreciate this is aiming to raise revenues so that the event is self-sufficent but missed the Lescar and other such 'local' food stalls, particularly in the main arena (and way too many people promoting Dominos!). Limit flyer distribution as well as just creates unnecessary rubbish.

A good diverse range of bands and it was nice to have the markets on Fargate, although that may have been a happy coincidence. Really enjoyed the Everly Pregnant Brothers on Sunday, was nice and relaxing with a sore head, although the day time scheduling could have been better to have the more chilled music in the afternoon as the band that followed them were a bit loud for the family crowd.

The entrance/exit arrangements for the main arena seem to work well with lots of people getting in to see the bands. Although preferred it when the Green Room was incorporated within the main stage area as wider range of refreshment areas and more space within the arena to relax.

Mapping out of tramlines 'routes' in year two seemed to make it easier to follow certain genres of music and move between venues which was missing a bit this year. Also close Division Street to cars as it did seem dangerous with the amount of people around.

All in all though a great event and made everyone I spoke to proud to be from good old Sheff.

I agree with EdnaKrabappe that the busker bus was a big highlight - I hopped on it on Sunday to see The Monday Club and thought it was fab!

I missed the first year of Tramlines because I was on holiday but went along last year and have to say that this year was, in my opinion, a million times better - much better organised and with less hassle than last year.

Other highlights this year for me were Sarah Mac in the Nokia tent - in fact, the Nokia tent was a fab little 'venue' all round and the photo booth idea was brilliant. Also the Everly Pregnant Brothers on the mainstage on Sunday were brilliant - Devonshire Green is a fantastic location for the main stage, a real festival atmosphere.

Although I unfortunately didn't get a chance to go along and check it out, the Folk Forest in Endcliffe Park sounded like it was brilliant and I heard really positive feedback about it from friends that went along.

I really wanted to go and see Toddla T at the Octagon on Saturday night but didn't bother trying to get in because I was warned by a couple of people that I wouldn't have a prayer of getting in unless I made it down there MEGA early. Not sure if that was actually the case and it was perhaps my fault for not even attempting to get in, but would have loved to have made it to see that gig.

All round, I had an absolutely fantastic weekend and didn't want it to end!

Limit flyer distribution as well as just creates unnecessary rubbish.

I agree and it reminds me that I commented on this over the weekend, as a result of countless flyers being thrust in people's faces as they walked along Division Street. I appreciate it's an age old method of marketing but it's bad for the environment, creates a mess and is just plain annoying when you're left with a handful of flyers that you have no desire to read.

Archived