Tramlines Festival 2011

HarleyLive

I posted this on another thread but it might be of interest here too.

I still think that more should be happening in some parts of the city. What about something on The Moor? And why can't there be a stage on the Station forecourt? They had Saxon do a gig there a couple of years back and it'd be a great welcome for folks arriving in town. Plus, if they intend using the new amphitheatre above the station next year, it'd help link that area to the rest of the city.

Another idea would be to use Hallam Square, outside Hallam Uni - it's a natural performance space, with terraced seating, and again would link into the rest of town.

Paradise Square would be a nice space to use too, for something which wasn't too loud (does anyone actually live in Paradise Square?)

It was sad that some obvious venues weren't part of it as well. Why weren't The Boardwalk participating? Abbeydale picture House/Bar Abbey (close to Rude Shipyard)? And The Grapes, over the years one of Sheffield's best small venues, sadly missed this year :-(

On the other hand, it was a great welcome return to The Shakespeare, which I thought was lost forever. Maybe The Ship and The Wellington could join in next year, to extend the Kelham Island/Don Valley involvement!

OK OK I'm getting carried away, but these are things I'd like to see next year.

The only gig I didn't like was The Crookes at the Shakespeare as I was far too hot and uncomfortable and had to leave despite the band being very good.

Next year involve the train station and it would be good to see The Howard getting back involved with music if that happened and Plug getting involved. That whole area including the seated tearing around Hallam could be used.

The Shakespeare was unbearably hot! Poor Joseph from Avida Dollars was suffering with a fever and performing in there left him like a wet rag! Shakespeare owners, get your windows working!

On the plus side, the Shakey are serving their ale in oversize, lined glasses so you get a full pint every time. Very few places do that (although they all should!).

I spent most of sat afternoon in the peace gardens for the 'world music' - excellent afternoon, a big fat bluesman, a ska band with the most beautiful singer in the world (the fair haired one), a class afro funk band and an AWESOME turkish trad/spacey techno group - left at 9.00 pretty drunk and very happy.

SOMETHING FOR SHEFF TO BE VERY PROUD OF

I still think that more should be happening in some parts of the city. What about something on The Moor?

It was sad that some obvious venues weren't part of it as well. Why weren't The Boardwalk participating?

And The Grapes, over the years one of Sheffield's best small venues, sadly missed this year :-(

There was a stage on The Moor for the first Tramlines. Watched a band there with about 5 people... though i think it was the Sunday afternoon so was quieter down there anyway.

The Boardwalk's closed, and they don't do gigs at The Grapes anymore (since last year).

I think it's pretty well spread out as it is. Been another great year. Only minor niggle was out of 4 Busker Buses that i caught only 2 had buskers on!

Archived