Acceptable age gap between 2 adults

John

Originally posted by Carlwarker

Why - it's their business - not yours or anyone elses.

Well, its also the 16 year olds parents business as they are still their legal guardians until 18. Also, it does seem wrong. A 16 year old can look 18 yes, but can also look 13 too. You have to question the older mans motives (used man because most paedophiles are men as far as I'm aware).

Originally posted by t020

Well, its also the 16 year olds parents business as they are still their legal guardians until 18. Also, it does seem wrong. A 16 year old can look 18 yes, but can also look 13 too. You have to question the older mans motives (used man because most paedophiles are men as far as I'm aware).

Definetly. You have to ask what the 40 year old is getting out of it (besides the obvious!)

Originally posted by t020

What a sad suspicious mind you seem to have. I doubt that a man is a pervert if he is willing to MARRY a younger woman - albeit she may be sixteen. Haven't you ever heard of love? Or does it pass your understanding.

ps. in many parts of the world a sixteen year-old is not considered a child - neither is one in the UK.

Originally posted by Carlwarker

What a sad suspicious mind you seem to have. I doubt that a man is a pervert if he is willing to MARRY a younger woman - albeit she may be sixteen. Haven't you ever heard of love? Or does it pass your understanding.

ps. in many parts of the world a sixteen year-old is not considered a child - neither is one in the UK.

Yes, love could come into it. But if an older man is going out with a 16 year old girl, or boy for that matter, that looks about 12, then surely one has to be suspicious?

What dreadful cynics some of us are! I think it's impossible to generalise, and that we can only comment on individual circumstances. I know plenty of very mature 16/17 year olds, and some that are practically still children. So long as the younger one is above the age of consent and fully understands what he or she is getting him/herself into, then surely no age gap should be considered a barrier. At a time when most marriages and long term relationships fail, what would be wrong with letting two people who genuinely love each other just get on with it?

Originally posted by Lickszz

I feel age is generally unimportant so long as both parties are comfortable with it.

Is an impressionable, confused 16 year old really old enough to decide whether or not they are 'comfortable' with their 40 odd year old, school lingering, compensatory father-figure of a boyfriend?

I'd say just under one generation - a maximum of about 15 years.

BUT... 16 and 31 sounds a bit off. So I'll refine it to the older one being max. 50% older. In other words, if the younger's 16, the older can be up to 24. If the younger's 40, the older can be up to 60.

Also, I don't really see what problem people have with relationships where one of the people is under 16. As long as the relationship isn't in the bedroom, there's nothing wrong with it. If two 15-year-olds are together, does that mean that the relationship has to end when one of them turns 16, yet can start again when they both are 16?

Archived