Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) scheme Sheffield-Rotherham?

JCJC

Has anyone seen/commented on the proposed Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) scheme between Sheffield and Rotherham?

It's the "Question for July 2009" on SYPTE's website

travelsouthyorkshire (DOT) com/travel_information/Tell+us+what+you+think

There's a promotional video. I'm not sure if it will help. 15 minutes by train Sheff to Rotherham. Of course this bus will stop on the way, helping out certain industrial and shopping areas.

I'm also a bit worried about the quick mention of "more ways to pay for tickets in advance" what's that? Oyster cards?

Just looked up Yorcard on yorcard.com .. "a new smartcard-based payment system for public transport, currently under development for South and West Yorkshire". Yep, sounds like it may be the Oystercard, under trial with teenagers, complete with trendy spelling mistake to develop literacy.

Hmmm. What I don't like about Oystercard is that cash payment then gets more expensive and Oystercard users get their every movement on public transport tracked. OK if you're doing nothing wrong ... why should you be bothered about CCTV? ... and ID cards? ... it's all for your own good ...

Has anyone seen the Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) scheme plans? They're on the internet and will mean major changes, even a new road, I don't see comments in the press.

Rather than write a long comment, I'll keep this short. The proposed BRT scheme is a cheap and second-rate replacement for tram extensions. There's really nothing in the North route that the tram doesn't already reach, or couldn't with some sensible investment. The South route would require a lot more money to be covered by the tram, but it's entirely possible, and was previously planned to do something similar.

I know that the BRT scheme might be promoted as a 'stop-gap' until we can get tram funding and permissions, but if it goes ahead it will destroy the case for tram extensions in this area, and put them back by years. Everybody should be against this proposal, and demand that Sheffield gets the transport investment it deserves.

Rather than write a long comment, I'll keep this short. The proposed BRT scheme is a cheap and second-rate replacement for tram extensions. There's really nothing in the North route that the tram doesn't already reach, or couldn't with some sensible investment. The South route would require a lot more money to be covered by the tram, but it's entirely possible, and was previously planned to do something similar.

I know that the BRT scheme might be promoted as a 'stop-gap' until we can get tram funding and permissions, but if it goes ahead it will destroy the case for tram extensions in this area, and put them back by years. Everybody should be against this proposal, and demand that Sheffield gets the transport investment it deserves.

Yes, lets find a body that has a track record of proven miss management of large scale public transport projects and throw some more money at them.

Who knows, they may get it right this time and not have to write off millions of OUR money.

Archived