How do I get the mobile speed camera on our road?

I'm not blaming speed cameras for accidents, but there is one on the way out of Barnsley that has a crossing infront of it, and the amount of times ive seen people nearly mow down peds crossing is unbelievable, this is due to their eyes being on the speedo, more so as its a downhill stretch.

Wombwell? ?

Interesting statistics.

I expect that most car/car and car/nothing accidents are mostly driver faults.

Car/Pedestrian accidents are 80% pedestrian at fault though, or that's the figure I've seen before.

The 3 things the police identify as most likely to cause an accident are inappropriate braking distance, turning right across the traffic and changing lane.

As a primary cause (instead of just contributory) speeding is listed for less than 5% of accidents.

So long as they understood what the word arbitary meant there wouldn't be a problem. I doubt that they believe they are some sort of universal constant or handed down from god.

For the record, I have no problem with 30 limits, nor find any difficulty in sticking to them.

Your last sentence is funny, on one thread you'd claim that black was white in order to apologise for criminal cyclists, on another if someone says that excessive focus on speed is counter productive as a road safety approach, they're an apologist for criminals. I love to see consistency in a poster.

Two sources please, the first that blames pedestrians for 80% of RTAs involving motor vehicles and pedestrians, and one, solitary, single post from me that has EVER APOLOGISED FOR CRIMINAL CYCLISTS.

I can tell you confidently you will fail on both counts, and once again i ask you to argue with what I've said, not your silly lies.

Not true. If you were fined for speeding, you'd have a motoring offence under your belt. Not a crime. You wouldn't be a criminal. Same with urinating in a public place. Graffitti is another matter - that's classed as criminal damage.

By the way, I'm not condoning speeding (or urinating for that matter) - just pointing out your inaccuracies. :)

Speeding is a criminal offence.

You really didn't know this?

Speeding is a criminal offence, and it is dealt with in a criminal,

magistrates' court. Having said that, traffic offences are recorded by the

DVLA, and a note is made on your licence. Run-of-the mill motoring offences

do not appear on the Police National Computer, although disqualified

driving, drunk driving, dangerous driving, TWOC and so on will do so.

Offences enforced by local authorities, such as box junctions, parking, and

whatever are decriminalised these days and no record is created - you just

pay the money.

Wombwell? ?

'The speed camera made me drive dangerously!'

Remember what I said about recidivists blaming any and everything other than their poor driving?

The speed camera 'made' the driver drive like an idiot because the driver is an idiot. Blaming the camera is idiotic, following your logic we'll have to ban police cars from the roads in case someone panics and crashes, and yes, it does happen:

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/article-23722737-details/Police%27s+flashing+lights+cause+%27spooked%27+driver+to+crash/article.do

'The speed camera made me drive dangerously!'

Remember what I said about recidivists blaming any and everything other than their poor driving?

The speed camera 'made' the driver drive like an idiot because the driver is an idiot. Blaming the camera is idiotic, following your logic we'll have to ban police cars from the roads in case someone panics and crashes, and yes, it does happen:

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/article-23722737-details/Police%27s+flashing+lights+cause+%27spooked%27+driver+to+crash/article.do

Sorry - which logic are you referring to? Did you get all that from me asking if the speed camera that someone else was talking about was in Wombwell? Maybe you should do a quick search of my previous posts and thoughts on speed cameras before you make such a sweeping observation?

Edited by BoroughGal

Speeding is a criminal offence.

You really didn't know this?

Speeding is a criminal offence, and it is dealt with in a criminal,

magistrates' court. Having said that, traffic offences are recorded by the

DVLA, and a note is made on your licence.

Speeding is not a criminal offence, it is a motoring offence, which is, indeed, heard in a magistrates court. You do not have a criminal record following a speeding offence. However these:

disqualified driving, drunk driving, dangerous driving, TWOC and so on will do so.

ARE criminal offences.

Speeding is not a criminal offence, it is a motoring offence, which is, indeed, heard in a magistrates court. You do not have a criminal record following a speeding offence. However these:

ARE criminal offences.

Wrong.

Look it up.

The reason why opinions garnered from lay interpretations are often

wrong is that many people have speeding convictions and don't like

being labelled as ciminals because of it.

Yes, speeding is a criminal offence, and a conviction results in a

criminal record. If asked you are obliged to disclose it, unless it is

spent, although many companies - prospective employers for example -

will often ask for details of convictions excluding minor traffic or

speeding offences.

There is no such thing as a "motoring offence". The law says there are just "offences" and at least one jduge has remarked that "offence" is merely shorthand for "criminal offence" or "crime".

Speeding is a crime.

It is in fact easy to come to this conclusion because the magistrates'

court can impose a fine if you are caught speeding and they only have

the power to impose fines on convicted criminals.

Put simply, any action which is punished (prosecuted) by the state is

a criminal offence.

An advertisement for the LTSA was published in the Bay of Plenty Times, New Zealand, on Monday 10 May 2004.

It published an image of a burglar wearing a balaclava and carrying a crowbar.

The headline and text read,

"THERE'S ANOTHER OFFENDER YOU SHOULD BE AFRAID OF.

You're more likely to be killed by a speeding driver than any criminal.

Last year they took the lives of more women than rapists, more of the elderly than home invaders and more children than paedophiles.

Yet we seem to largely accept the speeding driver's behaviour - some of us even oppose measures proven to curb it.

And although the driver does not have the intent of other offenders, the end result is just the same.

I'm a bit bored with hearing this "only 5% of accidents are caused by speeding" line. People don't know where it stemmed from, namely Daily Mail hype of an already flawed and unscientific DfT report which was misquoted as usual by the Daily Mail a few years ago and then taken up by Clarkson who as we know is a thoroughly unbiased chap never, ever prone to a rant. ;)

The stats in the report were only based on 'initial police assessment', i.e. at the scene - anyone who has been involved in a serious accident knows that any objective assessment of speed is only carried out afterwards, after statements are taken, examination of vehicles and skidmarks etc. Plus the Independent Statistics Commission questioned the stats anyway as 'understating by half as many again' the figures of those injured, as they did not tally with NHS figures nor with convictions.