How do I get the mobile speed camera on our road?

Children ARE reckless!

Traditional 'road safety' focuses on advising people – particularly children –to be very careful when fast-moving traffic is around.

A lot of money is spent on 'travel awareness' in schools, poster campaigns targeting children to look before they cross the road, and campaigns targeting 'errant' cyclists. Children and their parents, pedestrians and cyclists are taught to expect speeding motor vehicles on their streets - in fact to accept this danger rather than challenge it, and to keep out of the way.

This 'education' does a lot to intimidate children and other vulnerable road users off the streets and is not even effective in its own terms.

UK's child pedestrian safety record is one of the worst in Europe.

Children ARE reckless!

Traditional 'road safety' focuses on advising people – particularly children –to be very careful when fast-moving traffic is around.

A lot of money is spent on 'travel awareness' in schools, poster campaigns targeting children to look before they cross the road, and campaigns targeting 'errant' cyclists. Children and their parents, pedestrians and cyclists are taught to expect speeding motor vehicles on their streets - in fact to accept this danger rather than challenge it, and to keep out of the way.

This 'education' does a lot to intimidate children and other vulnerable road users off the streets and is not even effective in its own terms.

Out of your 270 posts can you point to any that you wrote yourself and didnt cut and paste?

Children ARE reckless!

I'm not sure how you think that altering who's to blame would help improve the situation.

If children are reckless and run in front of cars, erroneously blaming drivers for the behaviour of someone else isn't going to bring the someone else back to life.

We are conditioned to assume that, because cars are big and fast, they cannot co-exist with other road users. But cars are driven by people with eyes and ears.

They become lethal only when drivers are turned into zombies by concentrating on signs above and below their normal line of vision. They race as fast as they can between lights and crossings.

Speeding is entirely avoidable, if you fail to notice the speed limit and a dirty great box painted yellow you deserve the fine.

So do you believe that drivers shouldn't have to have their concentration disrupted by having to look at signs outside their normal line of sight.

Would that include speed restriction signs, and speedometers? The latter being usually well out of the line of sight of the driver. If so it's very easy to see how a driver who is concentrating on keeping his speed within the limit could easily be distracted into having an accident.

You seem to be contradicting yourself.

So do you believe that drivers shouldn't have to have their concentration disrupted by having to look at signs outside their normal line of sight.

Would that include speed restriction signs, and speedometers? The latter being usually well out of the line of sight of the driver. If so it's very easy to see how a driver who is concentrating on keeping his speed within the limit could easily be distracted into having an accident.

You seem to be contradicting yourself.

I want drivers to drive slower and take more care.

You want them not to be worried by speed limits.

Two very different things.

Strict Liability and lower speeds save lives. Fewer people die, fewer people get injured. It's not about blame, it's about saving lives.

convert, do you feel that you are distracted and more dangerous and more likely to have an accident because you have to keep checking your speedometer?

How do you think you would get on with a driving teacher if you admitted that during a lesson?

What do you think the teacher's response would be?

I expect it would be 'A competent driver does not allow himself to become distracted'.

Do you fel distracted?

Does anyone?

Is there any actual evidence that distraction takes place among any but the most incompetent drivers?

factual evidence is something that's being treat pretty loosely in this thread anyway.

There is some though to suggest just that about speedometers. I don't think it's a big distraction, but some cars are coming with HUD's now, so that the speed can be seen without taking your eyes off the road.

convert, do you feel that you are distracted and more dangerous and more likely to have an accident because you have to keep checking your speedometer?

How do you think you would get on with a driving teacher if you admitted that during a lesson?

What do you think the teacher's response would be?

I expect it would be 'A competent driver does not allow himself to become distracted'.

Do you fel distracted?

Does anyone?

Is there any actual evidence that distraction takes place among any but the most incompetent drivers?

No I don't feel distracted, I drive upto 20K miles per year, in a number of different vehicles. I'm assesed every 2 years by an IAM instructor, (Although my RACMSA licence has now been expired for a number of years).

I read the road ahead, and adjust my speed / road postion accordingly. However there are a number of drivers out there who simply are incapable of doing so.

Just look at the number of drivers who, when approaching a speed camera, ram on the brakes and drop to well below the posted / safe limit. Some are not even aware of the limit, or the fact that the majority of speedometers actually over read the speed.

It's not all about speed, it's about driver (and pedestrain) education.

As for evidence, well you're the one who brought up distractions outside the drivers line of sight; contradicting your earlier post.

We are conditioned to assume that, because cars are big and fast, they cannot co-exist with other road users. But cars are driven by people with eyes and ears.

They become lethal only when drivers are turned into zombies by concentrating on signs above and below their normal line of vision. They race as fast as they can between lights and crossings.

Speeding is entirely avoidable, if you fail to notice the speed limit and a dirty great box painted yellow you deserve the fine.

So come on which of your posts are you going to stand by?