How do I get the mobile speed camera on our road?

Newvanandman was famous for all sorts of claims. Such as a tyre blow out in a Capri at 90 was safer than 60.

But then Newvanandman is you, isn't it?

Very scientific answer from you as always.But then you you obviously think you know more than you do.slow boy :)

Guest sibon
and what is it with 30 mph anyway. It's just some magic number you've been brain washed with. What about 25, surely that's safer? Is 33 too fast?

The whole idea of speed limits is flawed. If 30 mph is meant to be the maximum safe speed for a certain road when it's dry then surely the limit should be 26 mph when it's wet. And perhaps it should be 15 mph for all the people driving around with cheap non premium brand tyres on because lets face it, it's been proven that the cheaper branded tyres are not as safe as the premium ones.

So next time someone calls for a reduction in the speed limits I'd ask them to first check that they've got the best performance brake pads on their car and that they've got tyres on that will stop their car in the shortest possible time.

After all saftey is the be and end all right!

You have a very valid point about the state of tyres and brakes. Add to that list the age of the driver, visibility, diferences in reaction times and many other factors.

Judging by your user name, you will be well aware that the kinetic energy of a vehicle varies with the square of the speed of the vehicle. Therefore, speed is a very important factor. These stats from ROSPA might explain to you why 30 is thought to be an acceptable speed limit in urban areas:

Hit by a car at 20 mph, 1 out of 40 pedestrian will be killed - 97% will survive

Hit by a car at 30 mph, 2 out of 10 pedestrians will be killed - 80% will survive

Hit by a car at 35 mph, 5 out of 10 pedestrians will be killed - 50% will survive

Hit by a car at 40 mph, 9 out of 10 pedestrians will be killed - 10% will survive

Drive safely:)

You have a very valid point about the state of tyres and brakes. Add to that list the age of the driver, visibility, diferences in reaction times and many other factors.

Judging by your user name, you will be well aware that the kinetic energy of a vehicle varies with the square of the speed of the vehicle. Therefore, speed is a very important factor. These stats from ROSPA might explain to you why 30 is thought to be an acceptable speed limit in urban areas:

Hit by a car at 20 mph, 1 out of 40 pedestrian will be killed - 97% will survive

Hit by a car at 30 mph, 2 out of 10 pedestrians will be killed - 80% will survive

Hit by a car at 35 mph, 5 out of 10 pedestrians will be killed - 50% will survive

Hit by a car at 40 mph, 9 out of 10 pedestrians will be killed - 10% will survive

Dont you just love the cut and paste people who know **** about driving but listen to the tv intently.

Guest sibon
Dont you just love the cut and paste people who know **** about driving but listen to the tv intently.

Go on then. Enlighten me. Explain very clearly to me why driving at 40 mph in a built up area is a good idea. I'd like you to back up your prejudices with a few facts. A bit of elementary physics would be a good idea too.

Off you go.

Go on then. Enlighten me. Explain very clearly to me why driving at 40 mph in a built up area is a good idea. I'd like you to back up your prejudices with a few facts. A bit of elementary physics would be a good idea too.

Off you go.

Where did i say it is idiot!!!

Very hard hitting facts there I admit.

Doesn't make me agree with the limits but I can see how others wont be able to see past anything but the above.

Doesn't make me agree with the limits but I can see how others wont be able to see past anything but the above.

Some others....The ones that cant think for themselfs and really shouldnt be behind the wheel at all.

Guest sibon

The 30mph limit is a compromise between safety of the pedestrian and the need to move around at a reasonable speed.

I can't see past these stats when driving around town and I always try to stick to the limit. On a motorway, I'm different. I drive a well maintained car with good tyres and brakes. When conditions allow, I sometimes drive at 71 mph:hihi: