How do I get the mobile speed camera on our road?

Guest sibon
Some others....The ones that cant think for themselfs and really shouldnt be behind the wheel at all.

But you can't think for yourself. You can't explain why you think that speeding is ok. You make noises like "baaaaa" instead of engaging in rational debate. I'm a bit scared that I have to share a road with people like you.

The 30mph limit is a compromise between safety of the pedestrian and the need to move around at a reasonable speed.

I can't see past these stats when driving around town and I always try to stick to the limit. On a motorway, I'm different. I drive a well maintained car with good tyres and brakes. When conditions allow, I sometimes drive at 71 mph:hihi:

Every single road no matter what the speed limit has different conditions each should be dealt with accordingly as far as im concerned,but that isnt what the brainwashers would like you to think,but then they dont want you to think and i can see with some it works.

Go on then. Enlighten me. Explain very clearly to me why driving at 40 mph in a built up area is a good idea. I'd like you to back up your prejudices with a few facts. A bit of elementary physics would be a good idea too.

Off you go.

I understand this is aimed at "tis me" but just wanted to offer my opinion.

As a rule I don't think 40 mph is the right limit for built up areas, however the councils idea of built up areas is flawed.

Though a street with narrow roads and parked cars on both side and wouldn't even dream of doing 30. More like 20 but what about one with a wider than average road, few to none cars parked on the road (double yellows or houses with drives). Good visiblity down the road.

That's when 30 mph is just over zealous.

Each road is individual according to many factors and as such blanket speed limits will never be right.

I'm in favour of the hard punishments for offenses like careless and dangerous driving. These act as a deterant for me not some stupid ill placed 30 mph sign (penistone road anyone)

Edited by chrisphysics

Some others....The ones that cant think for themselfs and really shouldnt be behind the wheel at all.

tend to agree with you there, to an extent . . .

to quote some clever bloke whose name I forget "Rules are there for the guidance of wise men and the observance of fools"

in my youth I certainly did a few naughty things on the open road with my GSXR, but rarely in urban areas. Mostly I would have accepted the consequences of my actions, and get quite annoyed at people that don't

These days I tend to worry about my young kids getting mown down by some half asleep commuter distracted by their mobile doing 40 up the street we live on

FYI it is Bradway Road and Prospect Road, but I think Sheffeld has a great many roads just ike these

Back to OP question, so how do we get a mobile camera to come visit (other than the human sacrifice suggested by one poster)

Guest sibon
I understand this is aimed at "tis me" but just wanted to offer my opinion.

As a rule I don't think 40 mph is the right limit for built up areas, however the councils idea of built up areas is flawed.

Though a housing estate fine but what about one with a wider than average road, few to none cars parked on the road (double yellows or houses with drives). Good visiblity down the road.

That's when 30 mph is just over zealous.

Each road is individual according to many factors and as such blanket speed limits will never be right.

I'm in favour of the hard punishments for offenses like careless and dangerous driving. These act as a deterant for me not some stupid ill placed 30 mph sign (penistone road anyone)

I'd agree entirely. Add to that the fact that road safety could be improved with more barriers in places, traffic calming and better crossings. There are some bizarre speed limits around town, Penistone Road is one. The 50 mph limit on the Parkway is another.

In general, I'm in favour of the 30 limit in built up areas, simply because it gives a bit of clarity. Don't forget, there are a wide variety of drivers out there and not all of them are intelligent enough to cope with a more complicated system.

tend to agree with you there, to an extent . . .

to quote some clever bloke whose name I forget "Rules are there for the guidance of wise men and the observance of fools"

in my youth I certainly did a few naughty things on the open road with my GSXR, but rarely in urban areas. Mostly I would have accepted the consequences of my actions, and get quite annoyed at people that don't

These days I tend to worry about my young kids getting mown down by some half asleep commuter distracted by their mobile doing 40 up the street we live on

FYI it is Bradway Road and Prospect Road, but I think Sheffeld has a great many roads just ike these

Back to OP question, so how do we get a mobile camera to come visit (other than the human sacrifice suggested by one poster)

I take it you think the road will be 'safe' when everybody is under the limit?Watch out for the ones falling asleep they are much more dangerous.This has risen sharply due to having to drive about at mind numbingly slow speeds.

I take it you think the road will be 'safe' when everybody is under the limit?Watch out for the ones falling asleep they are much more dangerous.This has risen sharply due to having to drive about at mind numbingly slow speeds.

nope, roads will never be safe - there are poeple in the system

it's all about compromise

Interested if you could point me to some evidence of an increase in drivers falling asleep as speed limits have fallen, or did I miss read

Tis me, are you actually in favour of raising any residential area speed limits?

I don't think I am. I just argue my case to prevent things getting slower than they already are. I mean National Speed limit at 60 is fine, I don't want that to go to 50.

The motorway 70 is too slow but I'm in favour of the lack of enforcement here rather than allowing everyone to do 100.

What would you change about the speed limits on residential roads?

Tis me, are you actually in favour of raising any residential area speed limits?

I don't think I am. I just argue my case to prevent things getting slower than they already are. I mean National Speed limit at 60 is fine, I don't want that to go to 50.

The motorway 70 is too slow but I'm in favour of the lack of enforcement here rather than allowing everyone to do 100.

What would you change about the speed limits on residential roads?

I wouldnt change them.Alot of speed limits in residential areas are reasonable.

If they are really interested in road safety and not just cash then retest every driver every 10 years and grade them.different grades different entitlements,i begrudge being treated the same as some numpty who passed their test yesterday.

im sure with retests most of the posters on this thread would have a thread of their own.........I failed my retest,have you had that examiner? :)