Any Jazz fans left in Sheffield?

Hi Buck, Ronnie Scott's club was being refurbished, I'm not sure if it has reopened or not

He was an excellent sax player and very humorous man. He once said the only

time Miles Davis spoke to him whilst he was performing at his club was to

tell him to "shift" when he was on his way to the bandstand.

When I look at recent Jazz Mags most of the names are not familiar to me

Some names that are and are currently performing,which I can recommend

are: Joshua Redman, Arturo Sandoval, Brad Mehldau,Dave Douglas,

Keith Jarrett,Terence Blanchard and if you like Latin jazz

try Poncho Sanchez or Chucho Valdes.

Claire Martin is British and an excellent jazz vocalist.

Enjoy.

Hi Ronart One of the things about Ronnies was the pervading air of what were called reefers in those days. I like Keith Jarrett, he did some stuff with Getz not long before Stan died. Getz was a great lover of Brazilian music and so am I. The work he did with the Gilbertos is classical. The greatest Britsh female vocalist was Cleo Laine. I went to a concert and dance in Bognor Regis when she was performing with the Ray Ellington quartet. It must have been about 1951. She was very friendly and easy to talk to. Next time I saw her was at a jazz festival in Massachusetts in 1983 with her husband Johnny Dankworth and Mel Torme, still as good as ever.

I'm a great fan of Diana Krall, I have every CD she's made. The only one I don't like is " The girl in the other room " forced on her by her idiot husband Elvis Costello. Diane Reeve rates a listen too.

Thanks for the offer ronart. You and me must've met each other somewhere along the way. You mention the Shorty Rogers 'Cool and Crazy' album. I was there that night. I've even remembered the name of the pub, it was the Wharncliffe Arms.

It was one of those 10" LPs wasn't it? About eight tracks I think, including 'Infinity Promenade', 'Coop de Graas.' 'Short Stop,' Sweetheart of Sigmund Freud,' I cant remember the others. The band wasn't bad either, the most outstanding arguably, Maynard(three and a half octaves) Ferguson. Conrad Gozzo was in there too. What made it different was the inclusion of Tuba and French Horn played by Gene Englund and John Graas respectively.

I'd never heard that sound before, great writing.

Maynard Ferguson was Canadian as is Oscar.

Diana Kroll is also Canadian but is crap in my opinion,but then I am comparing her to the likes of Lady Day,Carmen,Dakota.Annie R,Sassy etc etc

In my line up she comes about 30th just before Doris Day

The problem is most of these ladies,if not all, are no longer with us. Of course, Diana Krall is behind Billie, Sarah, Ella, Etta, Carmen, Peggy, Dinah, Nancy Wilson and Cleo Laine, but she's a fairly good pianist, good enough for Ray Brown to bring her along., and she's alive.

Hello Texas, Delighted to read your latest, yes that was the pub alright and as you say

we must have rubbed shoulders. I have the LP Cool and Crazy, it is a 10"

and also I have the follow up Shorty Rogers and his Giants also 10" LP.

Both of these albums have recently appeared on double CD along with

some wonderful Woody Herman and Stan Kenton Try Giant Steps Records

GIST 009. Or if you can E-mail ronald@ronart.plus.com I'll see what I can

do, if you get my drift. Keep Smilin and listening to the good noise.

Hi! Buck,I too am a Stan Getz fan but, I preffered his pre Bosa Nova records such as the

concert he recoded with JJ Johnson, At the Opera House, and the session he

recorded at Storyville, Boston.

I saw Cleo Laine several times at the City Hall, I have a slight problem with

her voice as she always sounds as those she is singing through a yawn.

However, I rate her version of the lovely song, I'll Be Around, from her

album, Smilin' Through, with Dudley Moore as the best version of the song

I've ever heard. I agree entirely withyour comments about Diana Krall.

Try the American singer, Lea Delaria, her albums "Play it Cool" and

"Double Standards" are brilliant, I can't think of anyone who she is like

but she presses all my buttons and even if you don't like her voice

the backing group is excellent with Seamus Blake,tsax, Gil Goldstein,

pno,Christian Mc Bride,bass and others.

Happy Listening.

Do any of you guys post on the 'All About Jazz' forum perchance? If not you might find it interesting. Just Google it in and follow the directions. It's a stateside thing so you Buck and maybe Sweetdexter could be on there already.

Speaking of Diana Krall, I haven't got much of her work but I like a lot of her early stuff, like when she was covering the old Nat Cole recordings. She did one track, nothing to do with Nat Cole, '42nd Street', I like that, she did it quite differently to the recognised approach, you know hands in the air 'showtune' type thing, and brought out what I call hidden menace of the area. If you've ever walked down there in the dark you'll know what I mean.

Also Cecil Payne and Frank Morgan passed on recently. Neither of them were famous in the popular sense, but I dont think there would've been a Gerry Mulligan without Cecil. He was the daddy of all baritone players.

Frank Morgan, a little more obscure, sounded a lot like Bird.