Any Jazz fans left in Sheffield?

I've been trying to think who started the Esquire Club on Leadmill Road, and I'm almost certain it was the same guy who also originally ran the Club 60 on Infirmary Road. He got good jazz acts to appear at both these places. Was he from Manchester by any chance, name of Ernie Garside?

ooh yes i know alec meet him a couple of time tried to get freebies from me at work, is he still around?. another guy i remember is bob cant remember his second name, used to run mr kites in town for a while, also had a second hand shop on the corner of crooksmoor rd, he had stacks of old jazz recordings taken from american radio stations in the fifties!!!

I just read thro' this again and there used to be a guy around called Bob Hudson, could that be the Bob you mean? Anyone else remember him? He used to hang around with a black guy, African I think, name of Fred.

• 2 weeks later...

All you guys visiting the forum, how about making a gig this Saturday, you will not be disappoited. You will hear all your favourite Maynard peices with a real Stan Kenton flavour. See below.

The Anchormensemble from Elland, West Yorkshire are proud to present a tribute concert in memory of the life and music of the legendary jazz trumpeter and musician Maynard Ferguson.

The performance is at The Lawrence Batley Theatre in Huddersfield on Saturday 19th April, starting at 8.00pmThe Anchormensemble is an all brass ensemble which captures the essence of a Maynard Ferguson performance. Their high octave trumpet section blends with baritone horns and mellophoniums, made famous by the Stan Kenton Orchestra in the 1950’s.

Accompanied by a driving rhythm section, their Maynard Ferguson tribute repertoire includes some "MF" favourites such as Danny Boy, MacArthur Park and Hey Jude all played with that unique Maynard style.

This latest performance comes on the back of an already successful preview performance the Priestley Theatre in Bradford in November 2007, and promises to be a very enjoyable evening..

To book tickets, priced at £10, please call the LBT on 01484 430528

You'll like this one. Many years ago I read in a biography of 'Fats' Waller, that when he was on tour in Britain in the 30s, he had a gig in Sheffield. Now that's a fact.

He had a few hours to spare and decided to have a look around. He wanted a bit of peace and quiet and he found himself in the Botanical Gardens. (They were up Ecclesall Road, right?) Anyhow he found himself a quiet seat and the muse came upon him. Having a scrap of paper and a pencil, he started, and possibly finished, 'Alligator Crawl'.

Hi Texas,

I heard something similar about Fat's Waller.,but the tune was " Rose Garden"

lol

a quick google and i just found the following

"Fats Waller was reincarnated in Sheffield in a big way. The programme notes reported he had been at the now non-existent Sheffield Empire Theatre and wandering in one of its many parks had heard a lively strain from the birds which inspired him to return to his hotel and finish off Honey Hush."

taken from http://www.britishtheatreguide.info/reviews/misbehavin-rev.htm

so thats :-

honey hush

rose garden

alligator crawl