Any Jazz fans left in Sheffield?

Someone told me the other day that Dick Charlesworth had died. I must admit I was struggling a bit to think who he was, and then I remembered he played clarinet. Now I find he had the band 'The City Gents' back in the 'trad' boom, and he came from Sheffield. I seem to remember they wore bowler hats like the Acker Bilk outfit.

Somebody should do research on finding the park and the seat where 'Fats' was inspired and put up a plaque, hell, the council could put one up anyhow, wherever, nobody would know the truth anyhow. They could put up three really. In different parks.

Reading Humph's obit in the Guardian reminded me of a concert at the City Hall with Humph and Sydney Bechet marching round the stage like a couple of kids.

Alas no longer whinnieng with us.

Just finished reading the 'Times' obituary. I remember that concert well.

Jimmy Giuffre gone too, 'Train and the River', Four Brothers', good R'n'B player, get him in the mood.

One of my memories of Humphrey Lyttleton was from a concert in the fifties in the very early days of his band,Ian Christie clarinet,his brother Keith trombone(later to become a stalwart of the Ted Heath trombone section)George Webb piano,and one of the numbers was Does Jesus care?,and Humph said when they had recently recorded this, the record company were horrified, remember this was the early fifties, we can't put that on a record label!!so a compromise was reached,and it was re-named DJC Blues, and Humph said when the record was released it had DJC Blues and in brackets (Does Jesus Care) on the label!

Remember the cries of sacrilege from the purists when Bruce Turner joined the band"An alto saxaphone in a trad band" they could not believe it.

Another memory mentioned earlier was when the immortal Sydney Bechet played there and for some reason I cannot recall, George Webb was sat in front of us and like us going into raptures at Bechets swinging soprano, and he turned to us and said I have never heard anything like this, neither had we!!!

Whilst remembering Sydney Bechet, some years later in 1958 we were in Brussels at the World Expo, and the America Pavilion featured some top jazz stars,one of which was Bechet and also Sarah Vaughan, sadly Bechet was to leave this life a few months later.Sassy that show really did live up to her nickname, when she came on stage it was obvious she was in a right temper, and would you believe there was a problem with the sound system,just what was needed,but Miss Vaughan took it all in her stride, and although the backing group were playing the correct tune and tempo Sarah extemporised with her own not too complimentary lyrics in perfect time bang on the beat and rhythm, a star performance.

Some wonderful memories. Rest in peace Humph I hope you are jamming with Gabriel

One of my memories of Humphrey Lyttleton was from a concert in the fifties in the very early days of his band,Ian Christie clarinet,his brother Keith trombone(later to become a stalwart of the Ted Heath trombone section)George Webb piano,and one of the numbers was Does Jesus care?,and Humph said when they had recently recorded this, the record company were horrified, remember this was the early fifties, we can't put that on a record label!!so a compromise was reached,and it was re-named DJC Blues, and Humph said when the record was released it had DJC Blues and in brackets (Does Jesus Care) on the label!

Remember the cries of sacrilege from the purists when Bruce Turner joined the band"An alto saxaphone in a trad band" they could not believe it.

Another memory mentioned earlier was when the immortal Sydney Bechet played there and for some reason I cannot recall, George Webb was sat in front of us and like us going into raptures at Bechets swinging soprano, and he turned to us and said I have never heard anything like this, neither had we!!!

Whilst remembering Sydney Bechet, some years later in 1958 we were in Brussels at the World Expo, and the America Pavilion featured some top jazz stars,one of which was Bechet and also Sarah Vaughan, sadly Bechet was to leave this life a few months later.Sassy that show really did live up to her nickname, when she came on stage it was obvious she was in a right temper, and would you believe there was a problem with the sound system,just what was needed,but Miss Vaughan took it all in her stride, and although the backing group were playing the correct tune and tempo Sarah extemporised with her own not too complimentary lyrics in perfect time bang on the beat and rhythm, a star performance.

Some wonderful memories. Rest in peace Humph I hope you are jamming with Gabriel

Humph died? Oh, no. Just found out reading this thread. For me, back in the 60s, I always preferred Chris Barber to Humph. Nevertheless, he was truly a great trumpeter, soloist, and band leader, with a wonderfully dry sense of humor. Both Chris and Humph moved on from Dixieland to mainstream jazz, leaving me behind in their wake I'm afraid. My problem, not Humph's. RIP, buddy.