Any Jazz fans left in Sheffield?

You beat me to the punch Fleetwood, Nellie Lucher, that's one of the names I couldn't remember. But 'Night Train', I remember that allright. Buddy Morrow had a hit with it,but it was a Jimmy Forrest song originally. He must've sold it for the price of a hamburger or something. A bit like Charlie Parker's 'Now's the Time' being renamed 'The Hucklebuck' and making a small fortune for somebody else.

I seem to remember Quincy Jones on a talk show, talking about 'any would be composer of music and the like', 'that if you were not in the music publishing business also', you were not in the 'music business at all' . Meaning, I suppose, you could lose royalties, as many have done in the past.

I think that would hold true in any branch of the arts. A good few writers and poets have gone into publishing to keep control of their own stuff. Did you see 'Q' on TV not so long ago, taking solos with the Hampton band? I seem to remember he was in the trumpet section when it also held Clifford Brown and Art Farmer. Someone said he wasn't very good,Quincy that is, bloody hell, maybe he was and maybe he wasn't but he had a lot to live up to with players of that calibre.

Hi Highnote

Re carmen macrae and quote ide like to anall, i saw lita roza at the city hall

with ted heath, the same thing happened,i wonder who the bloke was.

Incidentally we reffered to her as two and a half litre roza,being sports car nuts.

Great days!

Chris h.

He certainly does PopT.

Surely Chris it was just two litre Roza, subtle though innit?

Anybody remember that other sound in the early 50's, the Red Norvo trio, him and Charlie Mingus and Tal Farlow. No long players there, said all they had to say in about two minutes, and everybody got to solo. We got a lot of them on FBS in Egypt.

Who remembers the Kurt Edelhagen band from Germany playing a City Hall concert back in the 50's or was it earlier? I seem to remember they played in the Kenton style and played all the favourites of the day. Cannot recall if they shared the bill with any other group though. The great Dutch pianist Pia Beck and her Trio was another European, who played the 'City' around that time also, although, I distinctly remember she opened for a British band.

Kurt Edelhagen, that was ANOTHER gig I missed. I remember Tubby Hayes worked in the band at one time, and Ronnie Stephenson the drummer.

Did you ever see the Ronnie Scott band at the City? I think it lasted about a year,the band I mean not the concert. Something like an eight piece, with Ronnie Scott, and Pete King on tenors, Benny Green on baritone, Vic Feldman pno, Phil Seaman, I cant remember the trumpet player, either Jimmy Deuchar or Hank Shaw, can't remember the bass player either, or the trombone. Could it have been Ken Wray, wore glasses? I remember they had a singer, Art Baxter, real character, Ronnie Scott had him billed as an ex barrow lad who would'nt be long before he went back to his last profession. I really liked that band.

A few years ago I went to see a little show Benny Green did accompanying Helen Shapiro called 'The Quality of Mercer'. My wife went to get his autograph and get the album on offer. All I could say was 'When did you pack the bari' in then'.

Funny, I always thought of him as a baritone player. Smashing bloke though, one of my jazz hero's, the late Benny Green. I used to buy the 'Musical Express' just for his column, so hip without being pretentious. That was in the 50's.

Kurt Edelhagen,great band,I once heard the story told by the late Alan Dells continental big band advisor about, I think it was the Edelhagen band who were rehearsing some new charts and a young lady singer turned up trying to get an audition,no luck, so she turned up the next day, and the next day, until Edelhagen took pity on her and granted an audition,she was plainly dressed,flat heel shoes, hair scraped back,but absolutely wowed them all,who was she?Caterina Valente.

I too remember the Ronnie Scott band,and agree about Benny Green,very humourous writer,I think he packed up the baritone sax to do his writing,did'nt he write for some of the posh broadsheeets eventually?

Another jazz man who always suited my taste was Stephane Grappelli, boy could he make his violin swing.

Some years ago he was appearing at the Crucible,it was Sunday evening and my jazz buddy was away on holiday so my dear wife,not a jazz lover,said she would go with me as company,and was quite prepared to be utterly bored,but she sat their completely captivated by his playing and lovely personality and thoroughly enjoyed it all.