Any Jazz fans left in Sheffield?

Hi 420tunes - Did'nt your group have this legendary French/Canadian drummer playing with you for awhile? I'm sorry I've forgotten his name but I remember CBC Canada made a TV documentry about him many years ago. I saw him playing at the Jazz Festival but it might have been a different year and with a different ensemble.

• 2 months later...

Hi Guys,

I have been listening via the internet to "Radio Swiss Jazz". None stop no commercials some terrific stuff .( a little bit that i would not call Jazz)

I am totally out of touch with the present jazz scene .I can maybe recognize 3 out of 10 names they are playing

I stream it through my stereo so i don't have to sit at the computer to hear it

Hi Guys,

I have been listening via the internet to "Radio Swiss Jazz". None stop no commercials some terrific stuff .( a little bit that i would not call Jazz)

I am totally out of touch with the present jazz scene .I can maybe recognize 3 out of 10 names they are playing

I stream it through my stereo so i don't have to sit at the computer to hear it

I listen to a French CBC station on FM 90.9, it's music pretty much 24/7 with jazz featured at certain times of the day, nothing outlandish just great jazz as I remember it. I have a Homephone/TV/Internet package through Telus that gives me a bunch of music channels on the TV with music of all genres, one of them being 'classic jazz', occasionally i'll listen, usually it shows the album cover and title also.

I listen to a French CBC station on FM 90.9, it's music pretty much 24/7 with jazz featured at certain times of the day, nothing outlandish just great jazz as I remember it. I have a Homephone/TV/Internet package through Telus that gives me a bunch of music channels on the TV with music of all genres, one of them being 'classic jazz', occasionally i'll listen, usually it shows the album cover and title also.

I also get these on the satellite from Shaw,but I find them very repetitive.

If you click on the tune that is playing on Radio Swiss Jazz,it will give you all the info Artist Birth and death (If he is dead), accompanying musicians with B&D ,who wrote the piece, date it was written.where you can get the CD etc also the air time if they intend to play it again in the near future and like I said a lot of musicians I have never heard of. Probably because it is European a lot of Guitar featured i.e Django

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, sad news about Dave Brubeck. I realize that 'Take Five' made him an household name and it pioneered a spate of tunes in odd time signatures back in the day, but he wrote and recorded a great deal of other stuff. I think my own favorit is 'In Your Own Sweet Way', not heard much outside jazz record programmes, but it's a nice ballad and deserves to be heard more.

Dave Brubeck died today of heart failure in hospital.

Reading about the passing of Brubeck,I thought i remembered an anecdote about one of his bass players.I thought Bill Crow played with him but I was wrong.He was playing with Gery Mulligan but I found his biography very interesting http://billcrowbass.com/biography2.htm