Any Jazz fans left in Sheffield?

I read a piece a while back by Paul Desmond. Can't remember where but I've got a feeling it was in a back number of the old 'Punch' magazine.

I can't remember a lot of the detail in it but it was very funny. The Brubeck Quartet had a gig for a couple of concerts at the Orange County State Fair ( I think it was in New Jersey),

On turning up they found the guy who'd hired them and his first question was 'Where's the piano'. Paul, Gene Wright, and Joe Morello promptly left Dave Brubeck to deal with the situation. The State Fair primarily a cattle show and fairground, plus a wild west show, and other rural and local attractions, made the Brubeck Quartet definatly the odd one out.

It seems that the hirer had read about the Newport Jazz Festival Riots and thought it a good idea 'to get down with the kids'.

It seems Dave Brubeck had failed in convincing the hirer he needed a piano but had succeeded in getting himself an old broken down organ. Also there was only one microphone. Of course the concert was a disaster.

The onus was placed onto Joe Morello who got more solo space than he'd ever had until somebody came out of the tent behind the stage to request him to play less loudly (Joe Morello?) because his playing was freaking the horses.

I remember, also, the quartet had to compete with a fire-fighting demonstration, complete with sirens and everything.

I wish I could remember more, but it was hilarious and shows what life was on the road as a musician.

That is a great story Texas, just picture that scenario in the 'Theatre of your Mind', it's totally believable and very funny. What these guys had to put up with sometimes was nothing short of criminal and that probably went for all musicians, singers and acts that were on the road, their next gig always a total crap shoot, agents that were sitting in New York or LA on the telephone calling the shots never having been in the field so to speak. I suppose the more popular you became though, most of these problems eventually went away with you controlling more of your own decision making and destiny.

• 2 weeks later...

I overheard a good one today, I think you guys will appreciate it.

Walking back to where I'd parked following a quartet of Salvation Army musicians on their way to a pre-Christmas blow in the local precinct. One of them was talking about some kid who was trying to get into the band. The conversation went so...........'and he can't afford an instrument but he can keep time so they've put him in percussion'. One of the other cornet players,who was listening,laughed, and said 'Mmmmm, I always thought if you COULDN'T keep time they put you in percussion!

• 1 month later...

In my very early years listening to and being intrigued by all things jazz and everything connected too it, for some reason I was always interested in the British musicians that moved to the States, either to enhance their careers musically, financially or both. * The world has now shrunk with all modern media and the digital age and it's no big deal for artists/musicians to move around to suit their own interest and needs, but back then things were a little different I think and had an element of risk. * I have not googled to come up with this list and it is by no means definitive, but have tried to find out what became of some people, no science to this just a random pick. * Start pre-war with 'Ray Noble' who made quite a name for himself as a band leader, composer and actor, my list jumps to the 40's with the talented 'George Shearing', enough said. * Don't have the exact dates for some of the following but approx in the late 40's to the decade following, 'Alan Dean' singer and one of the forerunners of the bebop culture in Britain. * Next bunch are all keyboardists, 'Ralph Sharon', 'Victor Feldman', 'Ronnie Ball' and 'Derek Smith', wouldn't have remembered the latter but just happened to buy a CD at a local thrift store with Smith in a trio with George Duvivier (bass) and Gus Johnson (drs) the name of the CD was 'Dark Eyes' it also had a little bio on Smith. * Anybody remember another pianist and ex-pat by the name of 'Jeremy Lubbock', probably left around 1960. * Which brings me to the 'John Barry' Seven who I first saw on TV on the '6/5 Special' with John playing a silly trumpet at the time (I think), I recall his group having a very corny commercial sound. * John paid his dues as they say and became musician and composer extraordinaire, and who will be forever remembered for his great orchestral movie scores and themes.

Edited by fleetwood

One guy that came to mind straight away when i read Fleetwoods post was Peter Appleyard

He was born in Lincolnshire and came to Canada in 1949.

The probable highlight of his career was when he joined Benny Goodman.

Looking at hie bio, he was in demand as a vibes player all over N.America

He lives not far from my son near Rockwood Ontario.

Just last fall he did a gig at a local Pub/Restaurant .Some friends of mine went saying it was a blast.

I think it took a lot of bottle to move to the U.S and try to earn a living playing jazz. The most succesful to my mind would be Dill Jones. I think he went to New York in the late 50's and settled there, and really it seemed just seamless for him. From working with top players in the U.K, he went straight to working with big names in New York, no problem.

And then there is the drummer Colin Bailey. He went to the U.S via Australia and touring with the Australian Jazz Quartet. And to date seems to have played with almost all the the big names in jazz including one fleets mentioned, Vic Feldman.

He was in the UK recently with a Shearing tribute band.

Thank you to Texas and sweetdexter for adding to the list and the essence of the exercise. * I should have added 'Peter Appleyard' as I have mentioned him on an earlier 'post', having seen him also up close and personal'. * I remember 'Dill Jones' but had no idea of his whereabouts.