Any Jazz fans left in Sheffield?

• 5 weeks later...

Been watching a piece of film featuring Stan Getz on the 'Rifftides' website. It's a quartet including Stan Cowell (pno), Jack DeJonnette (drms) and I forget the bass player. The gig is at some fashion show in Paris back in the 60's and they are providing the music to the cavortings of a string of models showing off various creations of some fashion designer. Mr Getz is cracking up, he does a great job of self control and it just goes to show what you have to do when you are a musician. I'll bet he had a good time though.

Interesting comment fleets, try this; http://www.artsjournal.com/rifftides/

Thanks Texas, I have read your sojourns into 'rifftides' in past posts so i will have to keep an eye out in the future, there are probably more websites similar also, i'm a lazy swine sometimes and should pay more attention. I have been guilty of writing twaddle on a few occasions but I might have got somewhat close on my observation of Stan Getz, he was a star and his technique was second to none and the 'Bossa Nova' sure placed him into Jazz history.

---------- Post added 25-04-2013 at 17:23 ----------

Stan Getz sure fought his demons all his musical life and I believe was never entirely out from under them, booze being the culprit in later years. Earlier in his career I remember reading in the 'Melody Maker' that he had held a drug store up, which he served time for. To my way of thinking he never looked the part, his persona, style and his much in demand talent sure defied anybody thinking other wise. But there again what the hell do I know, he sure backed a winner though with his 'Bossa Nova' stylings.

• 3 months later...

Hi Boofie

As I am one of the last of the Stompers, I can tell you that as far as I can remember.we made two recordings. Both were made at Curtis Studio on London Rd. There may be somebody who taped us but I think that is highly unlikely.

Who are you?

Thanks for the response, I am the daughter in law of a chap called Ron Tully who played banjo with them in the 50's, then left for National Service. He remembers a recording being made at the Sheffield Jazz Club. I would really love to get him a copy - he has just had a birthday with a zero on the end and it would be a great surprise.

One guy that came to mind straight away when i read Fleetwoods post was Peter Appleyard

He was born in Lincolnshire and came to Canada in 1949.

The probable highlight of his career was when he joined Benny Goodman.

Looking at hie bio, he was in demand as a vibes player all over N.America

He lives not far from my son near Rockwood Ontario.

Just last fall he did a gig at a local Pub/Restaurant .Some friends of mine went saying it was a blast.

Peter died a few weeks ago.

Peter died a few weeks ago.

Likewise, as I mentioned before, I saw him in a restaurant in an area called Gastown in Vancouver a few years ago now, I was with friends and we had a Ball, cant remember if he brought some musicians with him but he certainly had some local guys also playing along with him. He certainly worked the room by visiting all the tables and chatting with everyone, what a great musician, we shall surely miss him.