Any Jazz fans left in Sheffield?

• 3 weeks later...
Hey fleets, I read about Marion MacPartland. Did you ever see her at the City Hall back in the 50's?

If she was there around that time I probably went, she was married to Jimmy MacPartland at one time, he was a New Orleans trumpeter.

---------- Post added 03-09-2013 at 15:14 ----------

Further to my recent post, I believe Jimmy played the 'City' with a group and who knows Marion may have been on the same bill with her trio, but now I come to think of it, it seems unlikely doesn't it? With different genres of music.

Well fleets, you do have a point about the different styles of music played by the gal in question and her husband Jimmy. I think they divorced and remarried though. Back in the 50's I definitely saw Jimmy MacPartland at the City but now I'm beginning to doubt if he had his wife playing piano. Not because of their differing approaches to the music because MM could play all styles of jazz, but because I think I made a mistake. I haven't got any of her work on record just maybe a track or two on a tape, but she didn't just play one style of jazz. Her and Mary Lou Williams.

Does anybody remember a group that shared the bill with the Johnny Dankworth Seven at the 'City', they were called Cab Kaye and his Cabinetts, their home base was London. They were a British R&B group, playing in the style of Louis Jordan (Caldonia, Five Guys Named Moe, Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens), to name a few? They went down very well, actually better than Dankworth as I recall. I don't know if the term R&B was even being used at that particular time, I 'Googled' the name a long time ago and found some interesting facts on the family.

Back in the old 'Melody Maker' days during the mid 50's Cab Kaye was a name that caught the eye and somehow the brain associated it with Cab Calloway. I don't remember ever seeing him but I've got a track somewhere of him singing with Humphrey Lyttelton's band. I think the song was 'You Can Depend on Me'. His name crops up in many a anthology of the early 'bop' days with Ronnie Scott, Denis Rose et al, but my knowledge of him, really, is not much.

Kurt Edelhagen and his band from Germany appeared at the 'City', they were good but nothing special, they played what everybody else was playing at the time, the likes of Kenton, Miller and Mulligan etc. Pia Beck and her Trio and the Dutch Swing College also played concerts, sharing the stage with the two Lion statues. If there were any other groups from Europe that played Sheffield around that time I've long forgotten about them.

Edited by fleetwood

I read that British born pianist Marion MacPartland passed away recently at the ripe old age of 95 in New York.

Great Obit in the guardian http://www.theguardian.com/music/2013/aug/21/marian-mcpartla...

I never listen to NPR ,it would seem she had a great show for 30 years.

Didn't know she had an OBE either.

Above my monitor is Art Kane's "Jazz Portrait" Harlem 1958 MM is in the front row standing next to Mary Lou Williams

Alas another one gone