Any Jazz fans left in Sheffield?

hi jazzman

thankyou for getting back about the subject of the Rotherham jazz hounds, my uncle according to my mum played in the band as a drummer along with her doctor at the time doctor ballantyne. she says she used to go dancing when the band played at the cross keys and also baths hall in Rotherham. mum says that it would be in the 50s when uncle ron played in the band. he emigrated to Australia in the early 60s where he died young at the age of 56yrs. it would be great if you know any more about this as I am going to visit my cousin (rons daughter) in January and she is desperate to know more about her fathers days in the band. yours greatfully jean

• 4 weeks later...

Back again to the obituaries. I see that Stan Tracy has gone. I only found out a couple of days ago. The press seems to have overlooked the fact, or at least, I never saw a report of his demise. His 'Under Milk Wood Suite', I think, was his greatest contribution to jazz. I remember reading a revue of the album many years ago, and going to Sheffield Central Library to find out who Dylan Thomas was. So you see, the guy was inspirational. Then coming down the years, and getting the wherewithal together, I bought the album. I play it a lot. I remember seeing Bobby Wellins playing in a club one night in Nottingham, but he didn't have the same sound then as he has on the 'Under Milk Wood Suite' album. That haunting quality. Always a listenable piano man was Stan, influenced by Duke Ellington and Thelonious Monk. I like to listen to him play because you get three great musicians in one.

Jim Hall famous jazz guitarist died recently in New York, think he was about 83 or so, he played with all the greats including Ella when she was in her prime. Texas, I think I saw Stan Tracey playing with a small group over here a few years ago at the annual Vancouver Jazz festival, it seems to me he had a son playing with him also.

• 3 weeks later...
I read of another jazzman gone. Probably one of the greatest first trumpet big band men of all time. Al Porcino.

Three other Jazz greats have died recently, Yusuf Lateef multi reed instrumentalists he was 93, Frank Wess another reed man who was so good on flute that when he played in the great Basie sax section he got the coveted flute solo on 'Cute'. Chico Hamilton Percussionist, he passed away, I seem to think he was in a movie with Tony Curtis. Recently I mentioned Jim Hall guitarist passing on, it gave his age as 83yrs, I'm thinking that might have been a misquote, he might have been closer in age to these other guys mentioned.

Edited by fleetwood

• 5 months later...

I still get a kick out of one of the early ones he did with Art Blakey, 'Quicksilver'. The Messengers had Clifford Brown and Lou Donaldson on horns then. I didn't realize on first hearing that it was 'Lover Come Back to Me'.