Any Jazz fans left in Sheffield?

• 2 months later...

Jackie Cain passed away at 86yrs old, apparently due to complications from an earlier stroke, Jackie found fame singing with her pianist and vocalist husband Roy Kral. They made it in the vocal Bop/Jazz world in the late 40's upto I believe Roys passing in 2002, 'Jackie and Roy' will go down in Jazz history along with the likes of 'Lambert,Hendricks & Ross' and 'Blossom Dearie'.

Edited by fleetwood

• 2 months later...

My future husband used to go to the Earl Grey but I didn't care for it so much 'cos it was so busy and no dancing. His favourite number was Tiger Rag.

---------- Post added 25-11-2014 at 00:03 ----------

Great reading all these comments about Trad Jazz in Sheffield. I was a keen follower of various bands especially venues where you could jive, happy memories in the late fifties and sixties. Living in Scotland these days and there is a great band called George Penman( altho' GP is dead now) but the band still plays regularly in Glasgow. Oh happy days!

---------- Post added 25-11-2014 at 00:08 ----------

Hola sweetdexter, I think everybody knows of Humph, I personally remember the concert with Sydney Bechet, he was tremendous, which was only normal for him. The older I get the more I realise we were fortunate to be able to see and hear musicians of the calibre of people like Sydney Bechet, he was certainly a true great. When you look back on the list of jazz musicians who appeared at the City Hall, wow, it's almost endless. Does anyone remember when Nat Cole appeared there? His regular trio at the time was augmented by the addition of Lee Young, Lester's brother, on drums. The City was packed!

We were truly blessed back in the day, did you see Acker Bilk at the City Hall and Chris Barber, Lonnie Donegan was with him then and his wife was a great singer.

In 1957 the musicians Union stopped it's ban on American Musicians coming over here. The first band to play at the City hall after this Was. The Stan Kenton Orchestra. He walked on stage wearing a suit with trousers 3 inches short of his shoes as seemed to be the American style and immediately went into the classic Kenton performance of "Peanut Vendor".

He was followed by the best swinging band ever The Count Basie Orchestra. The city hall lights went out and you heard the drummer followed by the base then guitar the piano then the lights went on as the whole band kicked off with "The Kid From Redbank. Superb.

We then saw the Modern Jazz Quartet and others. Happy Days.

Dan Hennessy.

• 2 weeks later...

Anybody watching that TV show 'The Intruders'?

Load of old tosh really but there is a faint jazz connection, very faint.

Without going into detail some organisation or other have found a way to prolong human life by bringing back the dead and using their souls in other people.( Bare with me in this because it's difficult to explain). So far, same old, same old, right.

But the jazz connection is that the main chick in the show was in love with no other than Bix Beiderbecke. So she is trying her darndest to get him back into action, dig.

Now, believe it or not, ol' Bix has made it back as a Chinese waiter. He can still knock the booze back and I'm just waiting for him to do a solo.

Anyone a fan of the Count Basie Orchestra of the 1965 "Atomic Mr Basie" era should go to You Tube "The Real Group" Count Basie Medley.

Five swedish singers superb arrangements of Flight of the Foo Birds, Shiny Stockings, Li'l Darlin, Splanky and Whirlybird.A cappella vocalising at its best.

Dan H

What I would really like to see is a acappella group of eighteen or so voices. You know, like a big band such as Count Basie. Now that would be really something, and it could be done, because the singers are out there. They could do some of the old Kenton stuff after a bit of practice.