Any Jazz fans left in Sheffield?

Back in 1960 I went to school in Chesterfield. The first time I met my Chemistry teacher I was convinced that I knew him; his name was Mr.Lolley. Then it struck me where I'd seen him.When I got home I found my e.p.(remember those?) of The Saints jazz band and there on the front,clutching a banjo, was my teacher,Jim Lolley.

He lived in Chesterfield,off Hadey Hill. I suppose by now he's at a gig elsewhere.

Possibly a Mancunian. :)

http://www.jazznorthwest.co.uk/saintsjb.htm

Thanks for the link on 'The Saints' jazz band. It mentioned the 'Smoky City Stompers', which brought back memories for me. I saw them at the old Cambridge Street restaurant way back in 1949/50. I remember they featured a big brass bass, a Sousaphone, a really good band.

Thanks for the link on 'The Saints' jazz band. It mentioned the 'Smoky City Stompers', which brought back memories for me. I saw them at the old Cambridge Street restaurant way back in 1949/50. I remember they featured a big brass bass, a Sousaphone, a really good band.

Are you sure it was a Sousaphone Tex?

The common brass bass instrument is the E flat base sometimes called a Tuba

The Sousaphone is the one with a huge flared bell that comes up the players back and over his shoulder

Smokey City Stompers

---------- Post added 12-12-2015 at 17:16 ----------

Jazz at the Cambridge St

---------- Post added 12-12-2015 at 17:20 ----------

Smokey City Stompers

Last week I was given a recording made at the Cambridge St restaurant

oh the 30th Sept 1949 by The Smokey City Stompers

• 3 months later...

On going to the 'City' to see the Jazz concerts in the 50's, I remember seeing 'Harry Gold and his Pieces of Eight' being a smaller combo their might have been another group on the same bill. Anyway getting back to Harry, I think he had a brother by the name of Laurie also in the band, incidentally what a great name and original for a Dixieland group. I can't recall what instruments Harry and Laurie played but I suppose it could have been Sax and Piano, no reason for that assumption only that they wheeled on the stage (I said wheeled) a very large instrument called a 'Bass Saxaphone', (I had never seen one before nor since). Anyway they proceeded to play this (I'm guessing 7'-0") tall Sax with a girth that you could not put your arms around, obviously I don't remember in what context it was being played whether melodically or otherwise. I'm glad that I recalled this tit-bit of info, it would be nice if someone could throw a little more light and knowledge on this (I'm calling it a phenomenon.) fleetwood