Any Jazz fans left in Sheffield?

extaxman,

The pub used to be on the same sid as the present Law Courts.

I am almost sure it had the name of an animal.

We also used to go a pub in the Andover ,Nottingham St area.

Cant remember the name but the band played in a small room above the pub.

Also saw Tubby Hayes & Mark Murphy in a pub on the southern outskirts of Sheffield.That name I dont remember either.This was in the early 60s

That would almost certainly be The Old Harrow at Gleadless. Great venue with candles in chianti bottles for atmosphere.

Total Posts: 54

Quote:

Originally Posted by sweetdexter View Post

extaxman,

The pub used to be on the same sid as the present Law Courts.

I am almost sure it had the name of an animal.

We also used to go a pub in the Andover ,Nottingham St area.

Cant remember the name but the band played in a small room above the pub.

Also saw Tubby Hayes & Mark Murphy in a pub on the southern outskirts of Sheffield.That name I dont remember either.This was in the early 60s

That would almost certainly be The Old Harrow at Gleadless. Great venue with candles in chianti bottles for atmosphere.

The Pub that was where the Law Courts are, with the animal in its name was,

the Old Blue Boar. Trad Jazz on Friday nights, in the late 50s. Does Mary from the Midlands bring back any memories

Edited by bazjea

• 1 month later...

Just read a great book by Billy Bragg 'Roots, Radicals and Rockers. 'How Skiffle Changed the World', it kind of started when Ken Colyer brought some turn of the century jazz recordings back from the States in the early forties. Now cut to Chris Barber and Lonnie Donnegan and their interpretation and the rest is history, soon groups by the hundreds were soon copying and playing, some better than others obviously. The book is British and current, incidentally the author Billy Bragg was mentioned on another thread related to the students union concert where he might have entertained. The book is worth a read because it is well written, enjoy! fleetwood

Just read a great book by Billy Bragg 'Roots, Radicals and Rockers. 'How Skiffle Changed the World', it kind of started when Ken Colyer brought some turn of the century jazz recordings back from the States in the early forties. Now cut to Chris Barber and Lonnie Donnegan and their interpretation and the rest is history, soon groups by the hundreds were soon copying and playing, some better than others obviously. The book is British and current, incidentally the author Billy Bragg was mentioned on another thread related to the students union concert where he might have entertained. The book is worth a read because it is well written, enjoy! fleetwood

There used to be a BBC TV show in the 50s called Top Town, a bit like It's a Knockout. I remember a skiffle group representing Sheffield and the lad with the washboard stuck it between his knees and did a forward roll. Don't remember if they won. :)

There used to be a BBC TV show in the 50s called Top Town, a bit like It's a Knockout. I remember a skiffle group representing Sheffield and the lad with the washboard stuck it between his knees and did a forward roll. Don't remember if they won. :)

The old washboard played a big part in the sound and what they were all about that's for sure. To name a few 'Rock Island Line' and 'Freight Train, Freight Train' fleetwood

• 2 weeks later...

Now I wouldn't have put you down as a 'Skiffle' fan but, then again, it takes all kinds. i know you like Julie London (so do I ). You'll remember she was married to Jack Webb and made a few films. I have seen a couple or three recently. But to Jack Webb. I didn't know he played the cornet for real. I remember I was impressed by his performance in 'Pete Kelly's Blues', he was perfect for that role, but that it was some other musician played the notes. He was a huge jazz fan and had thousands of tapes. I watched a movie recently 'Appointment with Danger' starring Alan Ladd, No details AL doing his usual stuff, but the business between A and J, very funny. Not intentional comedy you understand, but it made me laugh. If you get the chance have a look.

any older jazz fans remember the Esquire club later to become the leadmill ,the stage could be viewed from the floor above through a big hole. They only had a soft drink bar but turned a blind eye to bottles hidden in side a combat jacket or parka.

---------- Post added 21-05-2018 at 20:57 ----------

catchy song"dont be late to make a date with holiday town" cant remember the rest, last word could have been parade.

Edited by choogling

Now I wouldn't have put you down as a 'Skiffle' fan but, then again, it takes all kinds. i know you like Julie London (so do I ). You'll remember she was married to Jack Webb and made a few films. I have seen a couple or three recently. But to Jack Webb. I didn't know he played the cornet for real. I remember I was impressed by his performance in 'Pete Kelly's Blues', he was perfect for that role, but that it was some other musician played the notes. He was a huge jazz fan and had thousands of tapes. I watched a movie recently 'Appointment with Danger' starring Alan Ladd, No details AL doing his usual stuff, but the business between A and J, very funny. Not intentional comedy you understand, but it made me laugh. If you get the chance have a look.

I never said I was a fan of the music but it did lead to musicians gravitating to other genres and becoming quite good in their chosen type. I did enjoy the book though. Your notes (ha ha) on the other book on Julie London I thought I had covered because I had read the book, perhaps you might want to read my post in that regard. Try not to sound to sarcastic in future. fleetwood

any older jazz fans remember the Esquire club later to become the leadmill ,the stage could be viewed from the floor above through a big hole. They only had a soft drink bar but turned a blind eye to bottles hidden in side a combat jacket or parka.

---------- Post added 21-05-2018 at 20:57 ----------

catchy song"dont be late to make a date with holiday town" cant remember the rest, last word could have been parade.

I can't remember 'The Leadmill' but I remember the 'Esquire' on Leadmill Road. It was just up the road from that big garage on the corner. It was run by a guy called Tony somebody from Manchester. He got a lot of good jazz acts down there and fans could get right up into the action etc,etc. Once he got Cleo Lane after she'd been on at the City Hall and really she didn't want to be there. If you could lip read the language was quite basic. But bread is bread.

---------- Post added 22-05-2018 at 18:54 ----------

I never said I was a fan of the music but it did lead to musicians gravitating to other genres and becoming quite good in their chosen type. I did enjoy the book though. Your notes (ha ha) on the other book on Julie London I thought I had covered because I had read the book, perhaps you might want to read my post in that regard. Try not to sound to sarcastic in future. fleetwood

Sarcastic, moi ?