Writers Get Together

I have for many years looked for writers but the groups I seem to stumble across all have allocated agendas for meetings and certain books and poetry to read, they tend to like to rip your poetry to bits and tell you how great theirs is because it is super-technical.

Where have all the bohemians gone? The people who write poetry however the hell they want? Write books that are not best-sellers? The people who write and just like to meet up for a pint, a laugh and just talk about writing in general?? Why did everything get so structured?

I know exactly what you mean! A lot of my writing friends get so stressed about their writing. It always has to be leading somewhere, or they have to be doing it for some reason and I don't think they enjoy it as much because of that pressure! It's another thing that's become very career-orientated now because it's easier than ever to get noticed. (Despite the fact that it's more likely you'll get lost in the crowd of writers clambering all over each other to get published!)

Ahh well, never mind! I don't think ambition is necessarily a bad thing, just tends to stress people out!

I know exactly what you mean! A lot of my writing friends get so stressed about their writing. It always has to be leading somewhere, or they have to be doing it for some reason and I don't think they enjoy it as much because of that pressure! It's another thing that's become very career-orientated now because it's easier than ever to get noticed. (Despite the fact that it's more likely you'll get lost in the crowd of writers clambering all over each other to get published!)

Ahh well, never mind! I don't think ambition is necessarily a bad thing, just tends to stress people out!

I think doing things because you simply can't help yourself is creative. Stressing yourself out sounds like a chore rather than pleasure.

Definitely. But it's that kind of world we live in now. If we aren't doing something for a reason, it's frowned upon and seen as lazy and frivilous, which is probably why all the bohemians got chased away!

Personally I love writing, but I never get enough time for it. In between work and my other responsibilities, it seems more like a luxury than a calming pleasure!

If I may promote our website - http://www.wordsandthings.co.uk - we're always looking for new people to submit their works for publication on the site.

No one really critiques anyone else's work, it's just put up there for the world to read and enjoy. We realise that not everyting everyone writes will be liked or appreciated by everyone else, we're just happy to promote creativity in all it's forms.

I don't think my poetry is anything special, I reckon for every 10 poems I write, only one of them I will think is half decent. But I don't write because I want to become famous for it - it's just because I like doing it. If someone likes it, then great. If not, then fair enough, that's up to them.

Finally, we also like to go to the pub for long winded chats about anything and everything. So have a look at the site, let me know what you think and you never know, we might end up meeting and having a laugh.

Archived