Oldest School building in Sheffield.

Texas

Depends if you qualify it by 'still in use' or not. Before Mosborough Primary School (built 1822) on School St was knocked down a couple of years ago its predecessor was the white cottage opposite (built 1680).

http://209.85.229.132/search?q=cache:srEUIMnVrnkJ:www.mosboroughprimary.ik.org/attachments/The%2520History%2520of%2520Mosborough%2520Primary%2520School.doc+mosborough+joseph+stone&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk

For the purists, I acknowledge that Mosborough wasn't actually in Sheffield until the boundary changes of 1967 ;)

Depends if you qualify it by 'still in use' or not. Before Mosborough Primary School (built 1822) on School St was knocked down a couple of years ago its predecessor was the white cottage opposite (built 1680)

For the purists, I acknowledge that Mosborough wasn't actually in Sheffield until the boundary changes of 1967 ;)

1680 beats the (now disused) school at the side of the Cathedral, which has a huge dedication stone, with a date on it of 1712.

oh, and it has always been in sheffield! :P;)

Heeley National School was built in 1801 and survives in unaltered form opposite the medical centre on Gleadless Road. Most people don't notice it but it's a fabulous old building and the old cobbled lane runs up the side to Denmark Rd.

I wish the council would renovate it as it's such an old, solid building, and lying derelict :(

Heeley National School was built in 1801 and survives in unaltered form opposite the medical centre on Gleadless Road. Most people don't notice it but it's a fabulous old building and the old cobbled lane runs up the side to Denmark Rd.

I wish the council would renovate it as it's such an old, solid building, and lying derelict :(

A photo ... Heeley National School

M&P

I had a look on Street View to see if Pitsmoor School still existed. It doesn't. Something called Unigraph on the old playground now. Crookes Endowed would take some beating though, 1790.

You do realise that if any council members read this thread they will flatten them all as only post 1960 buildings are allowed to survive.(apart from the Town Hall of course)

I don't want to spoil everyone's fun but are we talking about the date of a building used as a school in later years or are we talking about old purpose built schools?

There are many articles printed claiming the oldest pub or asuchlike that were never originally used for the presnt day or near present day purpose.

PopT

Archived