Oldest School building in Sheffield.

Texas

Old purpose built schools, pops.

Sorry about that biker, I didn't realise that council operatives could read, fend 'em off baby, fend 'em off.

I went to Arbourthorne Central County School,They have flattened the original 1930,s building.I then went to Hurlfield Secondary Modern school for boys,they flattened the original 1950,s building.Then I went to the Central Technical School,They have ripped out most of the building (19th century,original University etc) and made it into an hotel.I was born at the Northern General Hospital Maternity (flattened of course).Can you see a pattern here????? We had one of the biggest castles in the country,now under the remains of castle market. etc etc

I had a look on Street View to see if Pitsmoor School still existed. It doesn't. Something called Unigraph on the old playground now. Crookes Endowed would take some beating though, 1790.

Texas

I think the old school is behind the Unigraph building.

Biker

There's a lot of money to be made in demolition.

PopT

Sure was a lot of money of money to be made when the old 'Board' schools etc were dropped in the 70's and 80's eg Huntsman's Gardens, Coleridge Road etc etc. The dressed stone and slated roofs (a lot of Westmoreland and Porthmadoc slating) - the cost was just peppercorn due to the salvage!! Anyway regarding oldsest school buildings - still in use - my money would be between Intake J & I (the original building fronting on to Mansfield Road) or Parson Cross (C.E.) J & I - on the left going up Penistone Road - the old house on the bottom side of that school (if still there) predates the school building by some years but hasn't been used to teach in I understand. Perhaps the old Low Bradfield building (taken over by Sheffield in 1974 and sadly closed to kids about 20 years ago) - the kids being transferred to Dungworth J & I - could have beaten the lot when it was open?

I don't want to spoil everyone's fun but are we talking about the date of a building used as a school in later years or are we talking about old purpose built schools?

There are many articles printed claiming the oldest pub or asuchlike that were never originally used for the presnt day or near present day purpose.

PopT

The inscription on the former school beside the cathedral confirms that it was originally built as a school. I believe the school building at Heeley was "purpose-built" as a school, also.

I went to Arbourthorne Central County School,They have flattened the original 1930,s building.I then went to Hurlfield Secondary Modern school for boys,they flattened the original 1950,s building.Then I went to the Central Technical School,They have ripped out most of the building (19th century,original University etc) and made it into an hotel.I was born at the Northern General Hospital Maternity (flattened of course).Can you see a pattern here????? We had one of the biggest castles in the country,now under the remains of castle market. etc etc

This all reminds me of a film I once saw on TV. It was called 'The Langoliers', terrible movie, all about some kind of invisible beings chewing up the earth. It appears though, that they do in fact exist, and they're trying to get you biker. Don't stay in one place too long.

Texas

I think the old school is behind the Unigraph building.

I did notice a stone building behind the new one viewed from a certain angle on Street View, but it's such a long time since I've actually been in the area, and I thought it seemed too far back.

Although not the oldest school,Ecclesall CofE on Ringinglow Rd is noteable in my family.When my daughters went there they were the fourth generation of my family to go there.

There is a cottage at the end of Broad Elms Lane that was a derelict school building that we used to play in as children.There were still rows of coat pegs in the entrance.I don't know its age or history.

One for the historians I guess. My money's on Pitsmoor School on Pitsmoor Road (if it's still standing).

A school was set up by peasant farmers in Parson Cross in 1630 in a one room thatched cottage, today is has been superceded as Parson Cross Primary.

I guess that kicks my original theory into touch. When did it become a National School though? I don't know a lot about the subject, but I understand that a Christian Society began the building of National Schools about the late 1600's. The one at Parson Cross may have been one of them. I'm asking all this because near where I live there is a interesting building with a dedicated stone stating 'National School'. Unfortunately the date is somewhat obliterated, but it looks Georgian to me. And that would be later than the 1700s.

I always thought that Pitsmoor school seemed quite old. Obviously not. Thanks for all the interest though.

Archived