Growing up in Beighton

I have a lovely photograph of us 'bridesmaids' at the wedding of Linda & John. Just called your auntie Linda, my best and dearest friend, and I now I know who you are-the lovely little flower girl, Jane! We must all meet up again when I visit the UK in 2012.

Sorry but i am not Jane, i wasn't born when Linda married. The clue is in my Avitar, my name is Helen.

Jane is my elder sister, mum had dad had four kids, i'm the youngest.

my name is andrew durham and i live in blackpool and i was looking up information about my late grandad leslie durham who lived in beighton along with my dad barry durham who grew up in beighton too and wondered if any of you knew them and wondered if my grandad was that youth club worker at church that was mentioned...

Hi Andrew, i remember your Grandad Les Durham he lived in Armstead Road same time i did,Top bloke your Grandad if it wernt for him a lot of us kids in Beighton would have had nothing to do on cold winter nights.i cant remember your dad he may have moved away when i was a teenager.

Do you remember the Sunday afternoon trips to Matlock your Dad used to take us on,with your uncle Brian ,think he was playing football at the time.

We have spent some time in derbyshire over the years my mum and dad still do most weekends, We used to follow our Brian all over the country playing football I remember one trip to Fulham in the sixties in the FA cup and Wembley a couple of times with Macclesfield and Burton.

Sorry but i am not Jane, i wasn't born when Linda married. The clue is in my Avitar, my name is Helen.

Jane is my elder sister, mum had dad had four kids, i'm the youngest.

Nice to meet you Helen. I didn't know your mum & dad had 4 children. Sorry to hear about your dad. I remember him from when I'd go to your auntie Linda's house. I'm not sure how many years between them but 'Jack' was quite a few years older than us. I remember you mum having beautiful red hair, very pretty.

No I didnt attend the 50th reunion, the only Gill I can remember is a Catherine is that you?

Yes I remember Mr Kirk agreat guy and as you said we gave him hell becuase he was so mild natured. Somebody else mentioned Dogger Darker remember him and his slipper. What about Mr Fitz did history used to throw the borad rubber at you? Mrs Finney gave me the cane for messing about in music.

Mr Head the art teacher?

Barry Durhams son has been on here enquiring if anyone remebers his dad and granddad. Mick Unwin is still around in beighton, June Sargent married Eddie Jones and is still in village

Do you have a sister by the name of Linda?

Can anyone remember Mrs Hardy, the wife of the headmaster, she teached English in the top corner room of the wooden classrooms. I remember playing guitar in assembly and someone (I forget who) played a snare drum. It must have sounded awful. Frank Miles lived 3 doors up from me, he played a double headed guitar for Dave Berry, Chuck Fowler lived next door, he was very successful on the club circuit. Can anyone remember the young boy who died with a face cancer? I think his surname was cooper, very sad.

Can anyone remember Mrs Hardy, the wife of the headmaster, she teached English in the top corner room of the wooden classrooms. I remember playing guitar in assembly and someone (I forget who) played a snare drum. It must have sounded awful. Frank Miles lived 3 doors up from me, he played a double headed guitar for Dave Berry, Chuck Fowler lived next door, he was very successful on the club circuit. Can anyone remember the young boy who died with a face cancer? I think his surname was cooper, very sad.

It was Frank White (did he change his name) that played the twin fret gibson for Dave Berry.

Check out the photo on this page. Dave Berry & the Cruisers.

I remember Mrs. Hardy. I think she was a substitute teacher. She certainly wasn't used to teaching senior's judging from the books she handed out; Smudger Smith and Ginger Bates at the Dump? Really, these book belonged in the junior school.

When Bob Clarke ran the Beighton Miner's Welfare, Dave (Sugar) Grundy and the band would practice in a room above the club. I remember Frank, Alan Taylor and two more fellas who's names escape me but they could have been the original Cruisers. Pat (Clarke)and I were often invited to watch/hear them practice. We were thrilled.

We were lucky to be part of the Sixties music experience- I still Love Rock 'N Roll!

I remember Mrs. Hardy. I think she was a substitute teacher. She certainly wasn't used to teaching senior's judging from the books she handed out; Smudger Smith and Ginger Bates at the Dump? Really, these book belonged in the junior school.

When Bob Clarke ran the Beighton Miner's Welfare, Dave (Sugar) Grundy and the band would practice in a room above the club. I remember Frank, Alan Taylor and two more fellas who's names escape me but they could have been the original Cruisers. Pat (Clarke)and I were often invited to watch/hear them practice. We were thrilled.

We were lucky to be part of the Sixties music experience- I still Love Rock 'N Roll!

I used to watch Dave Berry and Joe Cocker at the Birley, Freechville also used to watch some great bands at the Blue Bell Hackenthorpe and yes I was underage. I used to enjoy Maggies at Swallownest and Mojo Club Sheffield, me and my sister Anne used to dress as Bonnie and Clyde on my sx200 scooter. Very lucky to have been around those years, never to be repeated.