Growing up in Beighton

I had a good friend in Beighton in the 1960s/70s and when I used to visit we would go down to the Fox. I loved the pub and will never forget the numerous guys sat there playing chess! (Not crib or dominos there!) I never saw that before, or since, in UK! The barmaids used to take the mickey out of me for my 'posh' accent: ) I was never posh, just born in Cheshire!

This leads me to the point of my message here: Does anyone know the Parkes family?? My friend was Peter Parkes, but I cannot remember their family address, except that it was a short walk from the Fox, downhill!!

Might be a long shot, but I'm trying:) Peter would be about 65 now, as I am myself.

Googling the Fox now it looks newer than I remember it then. I would love to hear from someone who could help my memory.

John.

Hi John have you tried the old Beighton site on face book lots of photo's and lots of old beightoners

No. I haven't tried anything since learning my friend is now gone.

Just coming to terms with knowing it.

Thanks for your info all the same.

Cheers, John.

---------- Post added 17-11-2013 at 15:43 ----------

Thanks for your help and info Tuppie. I would love to PM a couple of people right now but I need to have 5 posts before I can do that. Only last night night did I find out the facts....

I understand why that block is there, but I'd just like to know the answers to obvious questions I have right now. Last night I was so pleased to have made a real 'contact' after all these years, only to find I was too late to do it.

A pretty sad situation really.

John.

:love:HI i was born in Beighton in 1940 and went to shool there in the sixties i used to court a lass from shefield she used to say we lived in the sticks and called us Beighton Bucket Bangers Any one remember Molly Dewick and Christine Simpson I once asked christine for a date but she said no i was to scrawny i weigh 15 stone now :love:

I didn't live in Beighton but I was a member of the Wheelers and so, spent a lot of time there. I actually lived in Richmond, the other side of Woodhouse. I remember Molly Dewick; actually I went out with her a couple of times, must have been about 1955/6.

Mike