Growing up in Beighton

Hi Texas,

The name Paynter rings a bell. We lived upstairs at I think no 49 - above Betty and Fred, The top one on the row of flats. My kids - Andrew and Rachel were young there - I think it would have been 1973 when we moved in and about 1976 when we moved to Cairns road next door to my mum. Did you live on Victoria road?

Best wishes

June Lambert

Hi Janus1938,

I was only 7 in 1954, so I don't know Margaret Wilson. I'm not sure which old cottages you refer to at the back of Beighton Church. Are they the ones which are on High Street? Memebers of my family worked at Beighton Pit though and would have known Margaret's father.

Kind regards

June Lambert

Hi June,

I am Carol Baxter formerly Carol Booth, of Robin Lane, I still live on Robin Lane. I remember going to school with you and married a beighton lad who used to live on norcroft cottages by the name of pud (John Baxter) Where do you live now? John says was your nickname (peanuts) he seems to remember your dad as being first aid man at brookhouse colliery and beighton coke ovens.

Love Carol.

hy carol, my sisters are just reading these posts and 2 of them remember you. apparently you husband pud was my brotherinlaws friend, his name was wagg, alias charley storey, and my other sister sheila nee beatson says she used to knock about with you, do u remember them? she says do u remember chase foster and joby fox?

• 3 weeks later...
My dad lived in Beighton Manvas??? Road Eric Staniland there was also Ron Alan Marie and June!!! And Gary but he didn't live with them

Hi neilo1978,

Yes I remember you all, in fact your Marie used to babysit for us some 30 years ago. Where does she live now? Your mum I believe was Freda, (Jaques) was her maiden name, and I grew up next door to her when she lived on Robin Lane. Many years ago. Gary lived with his grandma did'nt he Mrs. Finney I seem to remember.

hy carol, my sisters are just reading these posts and 2 of them remember you. apparently you husband pud was my brotherinlaws friend, his name was wagg, alias charley storey, and my other sister sheila nee beatson says she used to knock about with you, do u remember them? she says do u remember chase foster and joby fox?

Hi fixit4u, Yes I know Kath and used to knock around with Sheila, how are they both, also worked at same place as charlie, I am now retired is he still working there. Best not mention where.