Greggs V Subway Poll

Which do you prefer?  

324 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you prefer?

• Greggs
    • Subway
    • Neither of the above in a million years

Originally posted by JonJParr

There's nothing wrong with you going to Subway if that's where you want to have lunch. After all - you like it. You'll always find people to try to persuade you not to eat at Subway / Pret a Manger / Starbucks citing ethical concerns as if it's their business to dictate what you spend your money on and where. Have these people nothing else to occupy themselves with?

And then you find subway/pret a manger/starbucks trying to pursuade you otherwise. That is what marketing is, a subtle subconscious means of pursuading you to do what they want. I do not believe that represents free choice.

Originally posted by TimmyR

And then you find subway/pret a manger/starbucks trying to pursuade you otherwise. That is what marketing is, a subtle subconscious means of pursuading you to do what they want. I do not believe that represents free choice.

Difference is that their marketing staff do that for a living whereas you're just sticking your oar in.

There's nothing wrong with you going to Subway if that's where you want to have lunch. After all - you like it. You'll always find people who try to persuade you not to eat at Subway / Pret a Manger / Starbucks citing ethical concerns as if it's their business to dictate what you spend your money on and where. Have these people nothing else to occupy themselves with?

I don't think it's really all that perverse not to want to see every high street in every city in the world full of Starbucks, Subway and the like. Supporting local, independent business is a positive thing, is it not?

Besides, Lunch Stop and Relish do much better sandwiches than Subway – and they're much cheaper. That isn't even an opinion, it's a fact.:)

Difference is that their marketing staff do that for a living whereas you're just sticking your oar in.

Well this is afterall a discussion forum. I am discussing the fact that I do not like subway, as was the original question.

Well this is afterall a discussion forum. I am discussing the fact that I do not like subway, as was the original question.

Yeah thats fair enough that you dont like subway. Doesnt mean that anyone else shouldnt go though.

Just out of curiosity though, have you eaten at Subway before?

Originally posted by spyro2000

Yeah thats fair enough that you dont like subway. Doesnt mean that anyone else shouldnt go though.

Just out of curiosity though, have you eaten at Subway before?

I haven't, no. Don't really think I need to though. :)

I don't mind people going to subway. But I do mind subway (and similar) taking over everything. Do we really need 3 in the town centre? It just makes every high street the same - no variation in life. And it certainly doesn't provide much return to local economy - even if they are franchised.

Why would anyone go into subway on west street instead of the lunch stop just up the road? Baffles me.

But I go into those shops as well :confused: Sometimes I fancy subway, and go there. Sometimes I go to Relish (I think that's the name - do nice chicken sandwiches). Sometimes I go to Delicus and sometimes to Boots. Hell sometimes I even make my own sandwich :o

Dosent mean that the opinion is less important. Personally i don't like Subways much - i have eaten there before but i would rather make my own sarnies, they taste better!

To be honest it does slightly grate on me that the good old British staple meal of a sandwich has been taken over by the American ideal. Whats wrong with good old cucumber between two manky thin slices of white bread!

I haven't, no. Don't really think I need to though. :)

Im not gonna pick you up on that answer as you may have thought that I would ;)

I don't mind people going to subway. But I do mind subway (and similar) taking over everything. Do we really need 3 in the town centre? It just makes every high street the same - no variation in life. And it certainly doesn't provide much return to local economy - even if they are franchised.

I dont see nothing wrong with 3 Subways. Give the people what they want,and obviously it looks like they want Subway. Supply and demand, thats all it is. If you dont like or dont want to go to subway then there is definitely a million and one other places to go to. I havent been to a Subway in months.

Archived